W202 Fron Coil Spring Housing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GMC

Hi all

I'm guessing I know the answer to this question but just thought I'd ask the forum to confirm the inevitable

Had a coil spring go on my C250TD Estate over the weekend and just had a look to see what damage was done. As it turns out it was n't the coils spring snapping but the upper spring housing failing. I'm suspecting this is a terminal event, unless anyone is aware that this can be fixed with a replacement housing. Photies attached of both sides for a bit of fun

IMG_1911.jpg

IMG_1912.jpg

in the advanced search function type "spring perch" and select titles only. you will find a number of threads. these items can be repaired; its by no means terminal for the car

Hi all

I'm guessing I know the answer to this question but just thought I'd ask the forum to confirm the inevitable

Had a coil spring go on my C250TD Estate over the weekend and just had a look to see what damage was done. As it turns out it was n't the coils spring snapping but the upper spring housing failing. I'm suspecting this is a terminal event, unless anyone is aware that this can be fixed with a replacement housing. Photies attached of both sides for a bit of fun

Hi get the perch from merc main dealer only £10 iirc then a competent garage to weld it on. Cost me £110 to have installed.

I made my own perches from steel sheet metal, an angle grinder and lots of mig.

The most important thing is to properly rust proof it afterwards to stop it happening again!

Spring perch failure is a common occurence on the W202 and its larger brother the W210 E CLASS - The official factory fix uses pop rivets [ really!] to attach a new spring perch assembly but most people prefer to weld them. The originals were spot welded at the factory but once the underseal cracks or gets abraided away by road debris the rot sets in! It's not something that will write a car off!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom