W202 front wing - painted!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tron

Car
S203 220CDI.
A little aggressive scraping at the bibbles on the wing showed the front edge to be a colander so I shoved a load of plod in to cover the holes up.
Time to buy a new one. Looking around the bay, I came across a company called Car Parts Express who would supply a new wing painted to my colour code for £141 delivered. That sounds like a very good deal to me. Has anybody used them before? I'll be ordering from them tomorrow and I'll let you know what I think of it when it arrives.

Dunno, it might be seen as advertising and I don't want to fall out with anybody unintentionally but if you search the well known auction site for Mercedes w202 wing -mirror, that is where I found it

Sounds a good deal but I suspect the colour will not have allowed for the fading that will have happened over the years. Something a good bodyshop can adjust for.

Dunno, it might be seen as advertising and I don't want to fall out with anybody unintentionally but if you search the well known auction site for Mercedes w202 wing -mirror, that is where I found it

Good point and thanks I've found it. Just like to have an idea where to get cost effective bits from.

Let us know how it is when it arrives. Cheers.:thumb:

Fair comment GP, but being Azurite blue, I'm guessing that it is unlikely to be an issue. If it is, I expect another coat of paint will cover it but in the meantime, it is a tidy panel that I don't have to worry about once I have painted the back of it with a good coat of Bondaprimer. As for a good body shop, I haven't yet found one, alas!

I am aware that it will probably need a little fettling but it is a sixteen year old car and the factory price for the wing is likely to be astronomical. This is a self fit solution that, hopefully, allows me to solve the problem with a minimum of organisation and downtime. If I am disappointed and have to go for the genuine part and another paint job, I'll have lost £141. The alternative is probably going to run me £500. The difference would be enough to clean up the rear arches and the couple of scabs on the doors. Presentable and sound c-class estates under £1k are not easy to find and this will push the total investment up to £850. By the time I've spent £1000, I should have a tidy and reliable example which will, I hope be a workhorse for years to come.

As Chubbs mentioned previously my only real concern would be if the wing would fit properly being a pattern part.
For info front wings for a 202 were £150ish each when I bought a pair for my C43 2 years ago.

Thanks Andy, I will enquire of my dealership (although I expect the pattern part is probably made of better metal.)

I've just fitted a pattern W210 front wing.
The curvature on the trailing edge up near the door mirror is not great.

Funnily enough, it seemed to fit the car I took it off far better, which made me think it might be an O.E. replacement panel.

Azurite is a fab colour indeed.

MB, a reasonable 150 but the paint shop said that they would need to blend the door in as well because it would look shocking otherwise. I thought I was going to pay them to spray it the right colour. I thought that was what they did.Stupid boy. The nice geordie I spoke to thought it would be no problem at all, sir. I will know next week.

Well, it arrived. Fit, so-so but not too bad. Paint finish not very good with numerous inclusions. Colour quite close. Dent and scrape to top of wheel arch unwelcome. I have fitted it because it is not rusty but I won't waste Waxoyl on it. I'll touch it in for now and lay in a proper one for future reference.

I think the only way to keep your car tidy is to always use original parts, the quality and fit are much better but at a certain price... but not that expensive like some people think

But when your on about spending a grand plus on wings and paint for a sub grand car it becomes uneconomical to do it. As much as love my car i wouldnt dream of spending a grand on 2 wings. If your patient you can find used wings in the correct colour on breakers but they are few and far between.
Depending on how much work your willing to put into it pattern parts can be made to fit ok and on a sub grand car will look spot on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom