W202 fuel gauge sender removal, please.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

borsicorn

Car
c180
My wife's car is a 1996 C180 / W202. She's had it from brand new and really likes it....

BUT:

The fuel gauge is now intermittent. I've read posts saying I need to remove the fuel level float assembly and clean the resistance track and realign the float hinge.

I've had a look and the tank is located ahead of the nsr wheel.

It looks like I'll need to remove everything from below, at the back side of the tank. Presumably, with it as empty as possible.

Can anyone please advise, hopefully with some diagrams or something?

I've read that the tank assembly is located with a large screwed ring, which may be seized as it's alloy threaded onto steel.

Has anyone done this job, please?

Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks.
progress.gif

Hi,
You seem pretty resigned to replacing it, but a "lot" of these fuel gauge issues in the pre-facelift 202 can be solved by running a decent fuel system cleaner through it, this cleans the sender unit to operate the gauge properly.
I have had this issue with my 96-97 C230K 3 or 4 times and it has always worked for me.

hi you have two senders but the one on the passenger side send the signal

get one from a brakers and also the ring just in case

jack up car passenger side as high as you can or use a ramp but some thing under the car as the car can not role also some thing in case the jack fails but use a ramp it will be easier

disconnect battery

remove three size 10 mm bolts

remove electrical connector

also break the clip holding the pipe to the sender it can not be used again its that type
you will need a new cir clip to put pipe back on

tap the ring using a long screw driver it may take some time untill the ring comes off

if it wont spray with wd40 and leave for a while

if it still wont using a drill bit size 6 drill the ring making sure not to go near treads

you dont need too as the ring will break easy as made of soft al

then put screw driver in one of the four holes and twist out she comes

that is why you have a spare from scrap yard

then remove fuel sender twist out to left then right you will see two pipes holding on to the old sender

slip the ring holding them in place to inside and the pipes pull off

i put some copper grease on the new ring to ease the refitting

and do the reverse to finish

sorry for the spelling mistakes my little man is jumping all over me as im typing i hope this helps

hi you have two senders but the one on the passenger side send the signal

get one from a brakers and also the ring just in case

jack up car passenger side as high as you can or use a ramp but some thing under the car as the car can not role also some thing in case the jack fails but use a ramp it will be easier

disconnect battery

remove three size 10 mm bolts

remove electrical connector

also break the clip holding the pipe to the sender it can not be used again its that type
you will need a new cir clip to put pipe back on

tap the ring using a long screw driver it may take some time untill the ring comes off

if it wont spray with wd40 and leave for a while

if it still wont using a drill bit size 6 drill the ring making sure not to go near treads

you dont need too as the ring will break easy as made of soft al

then put screw driver in one of the four holes and twist out she comes

that is why you have a spare from scrap yard

then remove fuel sender twist out to left then right you will see two pipes holding on to the old sender

slip the ring holding them in place to inside and the pipes pull off

i put some copper grease on the new ring to ease the refitting

and do the reverse to finish

sorry for the spelling mistakes my little man is jumping all over me as im typing i hope this helps

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom