W202 Fuel gauge shows full

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JimBennett

Car
1998 Mercedes C280
The fuel gauge of my 1998 W202 C280 has started to show full and is not reducing with mileage. Grateful for any advice as to how this may be rectified. Hopefully at a modest cost.

Ah. Mercedes comedy fuel gauge. I think we all suffer from these at one time or another.

It could be just the gauge stuck in the housing. A resounding clout on top of the dash may fix it.
New sender unit fitted into the tank. Not too expensive and fairly easy for an Indie to do.
Good Luck with it.

CHEERS

More likely to be either the sender stuck or a short on the wiring.

The fuel gauge of my 1998 W202 C280 has started to show full and is not reducing with mileage. Grateful for any advice as to how this may be rectified. Hopefully at a modest cost.

Mines just started to do this. Had 1/2 a tank in, started up and the sender went up to half, then dropped to empty, stayed at empty for a bit and then went back up. I since filled up to the top and the gauge went tot he top as expected, but has n't moved since.

LOL! all our gauges have gone bonkers it seems!

Mines doing the same thing, got a new sender, will fit it this week when i get the gyal serviced. Lets see if it does the trick.

Also if its any help into costings of these things, although ive a 124 im assuming the w202 isnt far off.

MB £133 inc VAT

Euro £113

The unit is a VDO.

Hi Jim, yep sounds like a faulty sender unit as mine was doing the same (went straight up to full upon putting the ignition on).

Hi,
With my 97 C230K (Prefacelift) I have had similar issues with my gauge dropping to zero when on full and back up again a few seconds later it even failled for nearly a week. I used some injector cleaner and this sorted this issue out, this has happened several times to me over the ten+ years, and the 135,000 miles I have had the car and this always sorts it out without fail.

fuel system cleaner or injector cleaner has "corrected" my gauge twice in 155k miles.
my c230k lives on asda 95 unleaded around 60% of the time. the rest is abroad or at branded petrol stations in the uk. A few quid on chemcials vs fitting up to 2 new senders. no contest. mind you, I didn't really follow the guidelines on how much to add, I think I chucked in around double what it said on the back into an almost empty tank and then filled up with branded fuel rather than supermarket fuel.

I would check the conections on the sender unit. In my youth,and to my shame I used to disconect these wires on any car I hired, on hand back the car showed a full tank;)

LOL! all our gauges have gone bonkers it seems!

Mines doing the same thing, got a new sender, will fit it this week when i get the gyal serviced. Lets see if it does the trick.

Also if its any help into costings of these things, although ive a 124 im assuming the w202 isnt far off.

MB £133 inc VAT

Euro £113

The unit is a VDO.

I have the same issue on one of my 124's! Doesnt bother me to be honest, but will look into getting sorted if inexpensive. Billy where are you getting yours fitted? And also who services your 124? I need to get both of mine serviced! :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom