w202 - getrag conversion

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

c280turbo

Car
1999 C43
i am currently in the process of turbo charging my c280 m104 engine (5 speed manual)

and wondering what is involved in fitting the 190 cosworth cosworth gearbox??

i ve found out it bolts straight up and i can use the exisiting m104 flywheel

do i need the cosworth clutch kit??

what about prop ??
slave cylinder??

I have both gearboxes in the garage (from a W124). Presuming your car has the dual mass flywheel it will be OK cos the Getrag box has a shorter first motion shaft than a box which uses a single mass flywheel. My Getrag also has a different arrangement of the change levers and it's own corresponding gear turret. The output flange on the Getrag is slightly bigger but the shaft is the same length iirc. Other than that they look the same.

Welcome to the forum BTW.

Last edited:
yes my w202 has the dual mass flywheel, so would the c280 clutch work or would i need the 190 clutch??

prop would be the 190 also?

I don't know what will work on your car. I'm saying what the differences are between the standard box and the Getrag I have. If you already have the dual mass then that should be OK but you'll need to measure and compare the length of the input shafts of the two boxes to see if they match. The two output flanges are different sizes on my boxes though so another thing to be checked, however both my boxes are from w124's so things may have changed with the 202. What I think will be different is the turret cos the Getrag has the 1st gear as a push action on the change rods whereas the standard box is a pull. My two turrets are totally different as are the rod lengths but the four bolt centers are the same so they are interchangeable.

Another thing I've just thought of...you are aware that the Getrag box has a direct drive top gear so you will probably have to change the diff as well or you'll be revving it's head off at any decent speed?

Last edited:
Just one question. Why are you considering it?

I don't know what will work on your car. I'm saying what the differences are between the standard box and the Getrag I have. If you already have the dual mass then that should be OK but you'll need to measure and compare the length of the input shafts of the two boxes to see if they match. The two output flanges are different sizes on my boxes though so another thing to be checked, however both my boxes are from w124's so things may have changed with the 202. What I think will be different is the turret cos the Getrag has the 1st gear as a push action on the change rods whereas the standard box is a pull. My two turrets are totally different as are the rod lengths but the four bolt centers are the same so they are interchangeable.

Another thing I've just thought of...you are aware that the Getrag box has a direct drive top gear so you will probably have to change the diff as well or you'll be revving it's head off at any decent speed?

thankyou for the info :)

i am currently in the process of turbo charging my c280 m104 engine (5 speed manual)

and wondering what is involved in fitting the 190 cosworth cosworth gearbox??

i ve found out it bolts straight up and i can use the exisiting m104 flywheel

do i need the cosworth clutch kit??

what about prop ??
slave cylinder??

The daulmass flywheels and any of the standard clutches will not handle 400hp for very long, you need to use the old single mass flywheel from the m103 along with a clutch kit from black diamond.

You can get a getrag with both long and short input shafts, so make sure you get the short version.

The cosworth slave cylinder will be fine. You may need to change the front section of the propshaft for a different length, work out what length you need and call "mercman of cornwall" they will sort you out with that.

You will also need to alter the flexable rubber couplings in the propshaft, and fit solid ones insted. I think "nick.ged" has done this already.

What system are you going to use to control it all?

The daulmass flywheels and any of the standard clutches will not handle 400hp for very long, you need to use the old single mass flywheel from the m103 along with a clutch kit from black diamond.

You can get a getrag with both long and short input shafts, so make sure you get the short version.

The cosworth slave cylinder will be fine. You may need to change the front section of the propshaft for a different length, work out what length you need and call "mercman of cornwall" they will sort you out with that.

You will also need to alter the flexable rubber couplings in the propshaft, and fit solid ones insted. I think "nick.ged" has done this already.

What system are you going to use to control it all?

its going on dta s60

custom made ttv single mass flywheel and clutch from spec in usa will see that side of things sorted

i am going to use a gt3582r with external wastegate
custom exhaust manifold
3" exhaust system
190 cosworth rear lsd
60lb injectors
bosch 044 fuel pump
arp head studs
ferriday engineering decompression plate
r&r custom h section steel rods
big intercooler
and alot of boost :bannana::bannana:

I dont think you will have much of an issue with the gearbox. They are very strong and rarely go wrong. You may have to change the ratio's though.

Good luck with the project it sounds awesome.

its going on dta s60

custom made ttv single mass flywheel and clutch from spec in usa will see that side of things sorted

i am going to use a gt3582r with external wastegate
custom exhaust manifold
3" exhaust system
190 cosworth rear lsd
60lb injectors
bosch 044 fuel pump
arp head studs
ferriday engineering decompression plate
r&r custom h section steel rods
big intercooler
and alot of boost :bannana::bannana:

Who made the intercooler for you, I'm assuming it is front mount beneath the bumper?

I dont think you will have much of an issue with the gearbox. They are very strong and rarely go wrong. You may have to change the ratio's though.

Good luck with the project it sounds awesome.

what gearbox do you mean the std w202 5 speed or the 190 cosworth 5 speed ??

Yes the standard 5 speed

Yes the standard 5 speed
ok cheers i will see how it goes then

motor and gearbox only done 60k so are in excellent condition, fingerscrossed it holds together will save me a few quid

i could always get the gearset shot peened for added strength:thumb::thumb::thumb:

If you do go with custom conrods, just have them made 2 - 3mm shorter so you wont need the de-compression plate.

If you do go with custom conrods, just have them made 2 - 3mm shorter so you wont need the de-compression plate.
the decompression plate is the 1st stageof the build this will see me install all the ancillaries to get the conversion on the road and to iron out any issues, once i am satisfied i will then take the engine out and have the rods fitted, along with having the head worked on and maybe if funds allow a slight tweak to the cams ( a regrind)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom