w202 glowplug issue

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

deian

Car
'01 W203 C200K Auto Estate
Hi all,
(this was declared when I bought the car)...

Going through the service history, it shows the glowplugs were changed last time at 129k (it's done 179k) in January 2008, prior to that at 62k (no issues then).

When the job was done in Jan 08, it was reported that they were all ceased in, they were all changed but plug 3, and in Dec 08, there's a letter saying glowplug 3 has been cross threaded a little and wasn't put in too tight in case of further cross threading, but was sealing fine. I assume it's an aluminium head hence the cross threading.

Now it starts fine, it's rough when cold as glow plug 3 is somewhat negligible, it runs fine after about 10 seconds, and then fine all day afterwards.

IF I tackle plug 3, should I be prepared for cross threading on the way out? Should I tap a new thread or will that release bits of aluminium into the combustion chamber? (if I do, could I suck the bits out with a vacuum cleaner).

While I'm at it, should I open and release the other glow plugs as matter of course, and maybe put some copperslip on them for easy removal next time.

I will of course be careful and straight and slow with the opening/closing of the glowplugs, but I'm scared. Don't want to damage the head.

What would you guys do?

Thanks

for the 50 quid - I would replace all 5. I got genuine NGK ones for about 6 quid each on fleabay. Unless money is v tight then just coppaslip / silicone grease them.

grease up the tap when cutting a new thread, and / or make a crude seal over the inlet hole and plumb in an airline to blow all the swarf out of the glow plug hole as you are cutting.

bear in mind there are more than one type of plug for this engine - I went to ngk's website (something like ngknsp.com) and checked there before buying THAT part number on evilbay.

guydewdney, tell me about ur c250td running on veggie oil?
(i had a xantia 1.9td running on rapeseed oil from tesco a couple of years ago)

does the pump tolerate it ok? do u run 100% veggie or a 50/50 mix? I know they smell ok, nicer than pure diesel lol

i'm always wary of buying parts off ebay, i like to go for oem stuff, not stuff that others copy, if they supply the manufacturer then thats the brand i'll aim for.

thx, d

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom