W202 grinding and understeer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dodge2000

I am hoping that people can assist with a problem that has me scratching my head.

I have a 96 c220, it has 17" AMG alloys, but don't think suspension has been altered. Pushing on 156k miles now and for the last 1000 miles a problem with the steering has been getting worse and worse.

on moderate to full lock, when turnining right the passenger front wheel feels like it is going over on its self (postive camber), makes a grinding noise and understeers (sub 5 mph) when turning left it feels like the wheel is exhibiting excessive negative camber that happens in bursts during the turning circle.

I have tried the following:

• Changed Wheel Bearing
  • Change Lower Ball Joint
  • Checked Track rod ends
  • Laser alignment (rear driver side is steering the car a bit too the right)
  • No uneven tyre wear (in fact OSF shows less wear the NSF)
  • Can't detect any real play in idler arms, tie roads, arb, bushes look fresh except for lower wishbone bushes, but these do not seem that bad
  • Braking seems fine and straight which leads me to believe the wishbone bushes aren't the cause and that there is no knocking when going over speed bumps.
I do have to drive up a lowered curb with the steering on fairly full lock so not sure if this has compounded the issue and have had lots of heaving load (5 passengers and bags on uneven roads a few times)

The rear tyres are showing excessive wear on the inside so looks like the back is sagging on the old rusty springs. short of changing all the springs, dampers and bushes I am getting a bit stuck. I will be changing the steering damper in the shortly as this is the next cheapest part to swap out.

does anyone have an idea on what next to try? i am OK with a spanner and not wanting to change anything unless required as this is just a winter run around.

thanks

In truth i think only a visual hands on inspection is going to help.... The catalogue of possibilities for your complaint are endless.

yeah, thought that would be the case. i think it is a collection of things that are all coming together. why it couldn't just be the ball joint i'll have to put down to bad karma

yeah, thought that would be the case. i think it is a collection of things that are all coming together. why it couldn't just be the ball joint i'll have to put down to bad karma

It could be as simple as adjusting the "lock stops".... It's a hard call without inspection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom