W202 hazards flashing after 30 seconds

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

W202Paul

Car
W202 C180 Classic
Today I removed the passenger side door trim and speaker as I was doing some work on the door. I've left them off and now when I lock the car on the remote its fine for 30 seconds and then the hazards start flashing (at the same rate as they do twice when the car is first locked). This hasn't happened before.

I've read on other posts that the alarm siren could be faulty - but why now? Is it co-incidence or have I disturbed something in the door?

Also, how can I now lock the car without this happening - will disconnecting the siren be a short term fix?

Sorry for my ignorance, but do you mean the key for the ignition? I've tried this but it only locks the passenger door.

Can anyone help? I need to be able to lock the car tonight.

Have you got the electronic key(no blade)? if so the blade is slotted into the body
for emergency lock/unlock,there should be a plastic plug covering the lock in the
handle,remove it and lock.

Reinstall item #5 in picture below, this item closes the door switch, if it’s not present then the alarm will SOUND and the hazards will flash. If your siren didn’t sound then it may be faulty.

What year is the car?

Dec
B_top.jpg

Update

I bought this car from my brother, who tells me he thinks he still has the retractable key. He's on the other side of the country so I won't be getting hold of this in the near future. I've immobilised the car tonight. I understand from other posts a short term fix is to pull the leads from the siren - does this work?

Dec, thanks for the explanation and photo! This is the cause - I haven't reassembled the door furniture. The siren doesn't sound. Is there any issue in leaving it in place, or should I still pull the wires from it (for the cost of replacing it, I'm really not too concerned about having a functioning siren on a car that's nearly 19 years old)?

Just put item #5 back on the door, it’s held with 1 screw, you don’t need to put any of the door furniture back.
With item # 5 reinstalled the car should lock with the remote as useuall.
The car is 1995 so disconnecting the alarm won’t solve the alarm siren fault, you can ignore the problem for now and don’t unplug the siren as that might cause further faults.

Describe what type keys/s you have, describe ALL of them, see picture below.

Dec

KeyfobAndBatteries.jpg

Reinstalled item #5 and everything is fine again. I've got the two flip out keys and have previously tried the test you've posted - they're fine. I'll pick up the flat key when I see my brother next. Thanks for all your help Dec - you're a star!

Sorry for my ignorance, but do you mean the key for the ignition? I've tried this but it only locks the passenger door.

Not sure what you mean by the flat key, anyway the passenger door lock is for emergency locking only… if for example the car battery is flat or your flip out remote key stoped working, the idea is that you lock the other doors from inside by hand and lock the passenger door with the key blade.

The key blade, when operated in the passenger door lock, only operates the passenger door lock, it doesn’t operate the central locking and so doesn’t lock/ unlock all doors/boot/petrol flap, nor does it disarm the alarm or disable the immobiliser, it is purely a mechanical means of emergency locking/unlocking of the car.

Dec

I'm not sure what this spare key looks like as I haven't seen it, I was going by by brother's description. Thanks for the info about emergency locking - useful to know if the situation arises.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom