W202 Head Gasket leak? DIY?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

funga007

Car
Merc w202 200
So, after losing coolant for a while i narrowed it down to the top rad hose connected to the thermostat, so i replaced that.

That somewhat sorted the problem but the car was still running hotter than usual esp during standstill, so i suspected the thermostat and i changed that.

still running hot and losing coolant and coolant steaming in the expansion tank, i suspected the rad and a air lock.

after taking off the rad and finding that it aint blocked i found that coolant was dripping of the offside engine mount on the floor. i can only assume or be correct in thinking that my head gasket has failed between the the middle cylinders, as they are quite common to go in that area as the heat is more focused there. i guess it may have been leaking there from the beginning of me losing coolant.

So, if the HG is gone, i can assume the head has been warped because of the prolong use of the vehicle while losing coolant plus the overheating.

So i have a few options.

the engine is a 2.0 auto 111945

1. fix head gasket myself.....if so what parts and tools do i need?

Mercedes part numbers would be appreciated.

1.1 take out engine and recondition it.

2. swap engine with same engine or upgrade

3. use k-seal or steel seal

4. get rid of the car

5. use as garden ornament

I have read a few threads and i know what i am taking on if i was to do this myself.

any help or advice will be greatly appreciated.

i have had this car since 2007 and i just love it. the current mileage is 156000

This was the state of my thermostat. In my ownership I have to admit I never flushed the system or used 50/50 mix. Looks like it was more water than antifreeze.

Attachments

• image-259647390.jpg
    image-259647390.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 13
So, after losing coolant for a while i narrowed it down to the top rad hose connected to the thermostat, so i replaced that.

That somewhat sorted the problem but the car was still running hotter than usual esp during standstill, so i suspected the thermostat and i changed that.

still running hot and losing coolant and coolant steaming in the expansion tank, i suspected the rad and a air lock.

after taking off the rad and finding that it aint blocked i found that coolant was dripping of the offside engine mount on the floor. i can only assume or be correct in thinking that my head gasket has failed between the the middle cylinders, as they are quite common to go in that area as the heat is more focused there. i guess it may have been leaking there from the beginning of me losing coolant.

So, if the HG is gone, i can assume the head has been warped because of the prolong use of the vehicle while losing coolant plus the overheating.

So i have a few options.

the engine is a 2.0 auto 111945

1. fix head gasket myself.....if so what parts and tools do i need?

Mercedes part numbers would be appreciated.

1.1 take out engine and recondition it.

2. swap engine with same engine or upgrade

3. use k-seal or steel seal

4. get rid of the car

5. use as garden ornament

I have read a few threads and i know what i am taking on if i was to do this myself.

any help or advice will be greatly appreciated.

i have had this car since 2007 and i just love it. the current mileage is 156000

You sure it's not leaking out of the drain plug on the block?? Not sure on that engine but that's where it was on my c230K.

You need to test the coolant headspace for the presence of combustion gases with an exhaust gas analyser-- cheap and easy test. If it fails that then best do a compression test- you can buy comprssion testers reasonably cheaply or get a garage to do it- the spark plugs are bit difficult to get at so make sure you get one that will do the job. You can usually buy kits with all the necessary seals but all Mb Techs I have spoken to recommended using the pukks MB parts especially the cylinder head gasket. These used to be made by a company called victor reinz Just seal it! - Sealing Products Victor Reinz Aftermarket so that would be an acceptable substitute --provided you can get a genuine kit--- lots of counterfiet stuff out there--- safest course is from a bona fide motor factor not the internet. If the head gasket is gone its likely the head will be warped or may even require welding [ mine did] It makes sense to get it skimmed flat while its off. -------------That's assuming its not one of the block core plugs of course!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom