W202 Heater blower has a mind of its own!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cw-kid

Car
W202 C-Class C230K
Hi

The heating blower in my car seems to have developed a mind of its own. I have the manual dials and the fan speed will change on it own sometimes, or if I select a low number like 2 the fan sounds like its going at speed 5. The speed numbers no longer seem to work fully as expected.

Any ideas where to start looking with a problem like this?

Car is a Year 2000 W202 C230K.

Many thanks.

My father's W210 is currently having a similar problem, does your blower some times keep blowing even on 0 setting?

Thank you so much Koolvin, time to start looking for one.

PM Acid , I know he has loads of this in stock.

My father's W210 is currently having a similar problem, does your blower some times keep blowing even on 0 setting?

Hi

I never have it set to zero but will try and report back.

It seems to turn off the blower OK on setting 0.

Settings 1 - 2.5 seems OK as well, its when you get to 3 and above that the speed of the blower seems to vary sometimes. Its not blowing at a constant rate it can go up an down in speed on one setting.

It only does this sometimes however and not all the time.

Thanks.

change the control unit as posted above!

change the control unit as posted above!

Hi

Is that the most likely fix? Or are there other components which can cause it.

If its pretty much guaranteed changing the heater control unit will cure it I will look in to getting a replacement.

Many thanks.

My 1999 w202 c230k saloon has this issue. Sometimes the blower will start working at maximum speed all by itself when "on" at another speed. Just pressing the rotary dial in a cartin way cures it so I think it is an electrical contact issue related to the rotary switch. That said, swapping the HCU is probably simpler, if more expensive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom