W202 instrument cluster stops and refuses to start

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Seank791

Car
W202 C250td
Hi guys my 1997 w202 c250td has developed a fault when I press the brake pedal or engage reverse gear the instrument cluster immediately stops working but the engine will continue to run until the car comes to a stop or the engine revs drop to the point where the car stalls, as soon as I remove my foot from the break pedal and press the throttle again everything returns to normal.

However since I parked the car up this afternoon and then went back to the car an hour later it now completely refuses to start. The lights on the cluster come on as normal when stating the car, now some of them will dim momentarily then return to normal before I turn the key to start the engine.

I know it's an electrical fault and probably a bad earth somewhere but as anyone any useful information on this?

I had a search on the internet but came up blank

Thanks but advance.

There will be safety interlocks to prevent starting when the car is in reverse rather than park- likewise starting may require the brake pedal to be depressed. The reason the engine doesn't stop is probably because its a diesel. The electronics in the W 202 changed around 97 and the later cars were far more complex. Your best bet is probably to get the fault codes read. Could be an imobiliser or ignition switch fault. Does sound as if there's a voltage drop somewhere.

My car is manual would that make a difference? The fault only happens when I try and engage reverse the cluster dies and the engine won't crank over, this happend again tonight but I was able to bump start the car, I was desperate to get home.

I checked all the fuses and cleaned all the earths I could find, I went as far as to change earths from my parts car too see if it would help. I think I might have missed an earth howver if anyone has a list of earths and locations on the w202 I'd greatly appreciate it.

Guys and gals I'm still having this issue has anyone any suggestions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom