W202 Judder at full lock

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rik-hill

Car
C280
Hi,

I have a 97 C Class Estate (C280 Sport Aut0) and get a judder/ knocking at full right hand lock. It's more pronounced in the wet.

My local garage has had a look at it and can't see anything. I asked him to check the engine mounts and he said they looked ok, but I'm not sure if he checked the 3rd mount on the transmission or not. The anti rollbar bushes have been recently replaced, so I don't think it's them.

Any Ideas ?

w202's have a tendency to "skip" when cornering at low speeds. Like turning onto roads at junctions or in car parks. By "skip" I mean that the front tire on the side opposite to the way you are turning seems to be pushed slightly forwards and outwards - a little shudder or jerking motion. The camber on a road can exacerbate this. Also, it is sensitive to how the front tires wear. MB front tires wear at the outer shoulders are the more worn they are the more you notice.

Hi,
I have had this on both my C43/55 and my C230K, check the inner lower wishbone bushes commonly called Camber/Castor bushes. In my case it was cured by a full 4 wheel alignment, has to be a system that checks/adjusts the alignment of the rear wheels as well as they are adjustable on a 202.
Check here for someone (with the correct equipment) near you.
www.AlignMyCar.co.uk - Home Page

yea could be the ball joints on the front arms?

Mine stopped after I changed the drag link idler arm bush and steering damper (which was totally shot - no damping at all). Can't be sure it was that that fixed it as I didn't notice straight away - think I recall seeing the idler arm bush mentioned in relation to this though.

Mine stopped after I changed the drag link idler arm bush and steering damper (which was totally shot - no damping at all). Can't be sure it was that that fixed it as I didn't notice straight away - think I recall seeing the idler arm bush mentioned in relation to this though.

Is that difficult to do with a pair of axle stands and a jack?

Is that difficult to do with a pair of axle stands and a jack?

Hi,
I did it with the car parked half on the kerb and slid under on me back, the only difficulty i had was getting a good swing on the hammer to release the drag link from the idler arm, the damper was a doddle, one nut, bolt, and one bolt to remove/replace it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom