W202 Manual Gearbox Oil - MB 235.10?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

thephatmaster

Car
W202, C200 Saloon, Manual
Hi there,

I'm trying to pin down the manual gearbox (717.417) oil I need. My research suggests something to MB 235.10 spec? Is that correct?

I've based this on:
  • VIN decoder giving transmission number: 717417 07 652708
  • bevo saying:
  • Transmissionnn oils, sheet 235.10
The partly synthetic transmission oils are approved for the following transmissions:
  • [...]

• All passenger car transmissions 717.4 as of transmission sequence number 7 340 241
Have I got that right?

Last edited:
Thanks - just got off the phone with the dealer - all they could say was "it's a 75-85w oil" they didn't have the MB spec.

@190 Assuming we are right - this one (which is on the looooong list of options when I put in my reg) would also do the job www.opieoils.co.uk/showproduct.aspx?VariantID=67548&SEName=motul-motyl-gear-sae-75w-80-fully-synthetic-car-gearbox-oil&vehicleid=3990&yearfilter=1999&providerpartid=112248636&genericpartid=3225&providerpartlinkid=490975931&partsgroupid=706233&gener

I thing the dealer is wrong. If they can't quote the correct spec how do they know it should be a 75W85. For what it's worth 75W85 is what Mercedes use in the diffs these days rather than 75W90 so it's possible they are just being lazy and use the same oil in both. I don't suppose they service many manual cars although the light vans use the same gearbox so a dealer that services vans might be more likely to know.

No question that Motul make quality oil but I wouldn't put much trust in that web sites recommendations because when I put my reg in and look for gearbox oil they also come up with several Motul oils and every one of them is the wrong viscosity. To be honest I would look for two things: firstly it's labelled as manual transmission oil. Diff oil is quite different in terms of friction modifiers so I wouldn't choose an oil that claims to be suitable for both a manual gearbox and diff. Secondly I'd prefer to see some claim that it's suitable for the Mercedes 235.10 spec even if it's not actually MB approved and I'd put more faith in an oil manufacturer like Comma or Febi claiming it's suitable for a Mercedes than I would an oil retailer.

Out of interest how much did the dealer want for the wrong oil.

Edit:

I cross checked MB sheet 235.10 and the part number 001 989 26 03 for the genuine MB 235.10 oil matches the part number that Febi quote for their 21829 oil.
Febi Bilstein 75W Gearbox Oil GL-4 | 21829 (click on the cross references tab)

Interesting that it's the same retailer and they suggest something different even though the oil manufacturer Febi specifically recommends this oil as being suitable.

Last edited:
Fantastic @190 - you defo seem to know your stuff!

I'll get some Febi 21829 ordered.

Price for 2l of the wrong oil was £74.81 (perhaps even before VAT)

Final question (now I've got round to doing this) what is the fluid capacity for my gearbox (part no. above)?

Am I right in thinking it is 1.8l reduced to 1.5l in 2001 for some reason?

I don't know the capacity for that specific box but normally you just fill until the oil is about to flow out of the fill hole. A combined fill/level plug is pretty much universal on gearboxes and diffs.

I'm keen to do it by numbers as I don't have easy access to a flat surface I can support the car on

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom