W202 not starting - Indy in South Bucks?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pinpoint

Car
C200
My 98 W202 C200 has recently had 2 failure to starts. The engine turns but doesn't fire. The first was in a petrol station and I see this matches other posts. Both times it fired eventually. My expertise is limited to changing the batteries in the key fob, which I've done following other related threads, so I'm not asking for solutions. As I'm overdue for a B service, and the main dealers around me are particularly expensive, is there a good indy in South Bucks, ideally near Beaconsfield?

Usually fails to start when hot? Most likely is the crankshaft position sensor. A very easy job on a W202 if you fancy getting your hands dirty.

Can you hear the fuel pump prime when you turn the ignition on when the fault occurs?

Wheels VT at Holtspur have been recommended to me, though I've not used them yet (touch wood...). They're on the M40 side of the A40 half-way down the hill from Holtspur to the Loudwater/Tesco/Dreams roundabout.

Just happened again today for the 3rd time in about 2 months. I can hear the fuel pump does prime. These are short journeys of about 1 mile to where I park. The common thread is that it does start after about 30 minutes in all cases. There is a smell of petrol after the engine turns without firing a few times. In 2 of the cases the tank was full or very near full after a visit to a petrol station.

I've tried all the easy tricks mentioned in previous threads - keyfob battery is good, lock/unlock, open fuel cap. I put it in neutral and pushed it back to see is crank sensor moves.

I'll check the garages mentioned so thanks for the replies.

The error code showed it was the crank position sensor. This has been replaced and the car runs fine. First fault in 16 years!

It was Graysheen in Gerrards Cross. They are a proper local garage that do a lot of mercs and others. Quick and efficient, highly recommended.

Congrats on the fix...you can now enjoy driving your W202 200 again ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom