W202 overhead console/rear view mirror

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stratman

MB Enthusiast
Car
W203 C200 CDI '04Estate
Can anybody please enlighten me as to how to remove the overhead console in a W202 1997? I have tried the Haynes method without success. I cannot seem to find any tags that can be pushed back with a screwdriver. I do not have a sunroof, but if I am to believe the Haynes manual, my console looks more like the version that does have a sunroof.

I need to remove it to disconnect the wiring to the rear view mirror, as the red LED has never worked since I bought the car (used). Is it possible to dismantle the mirror? If so, how?

Piccies would be very useful.

stratman, do a search on mirror, there has been a thread on how to remove the rear view mirror before!

its not easy to actually do but the jist of it is to pull the base of the mirroe from the window end it just clips in, but the clips are quiet solid and hard to get back in!

search for the thread!

Thanks for the reply Alps. I have already managed to both remove and replace the RVM, which as you say, can be a b*tch!

While the mirror was out, I saw that it had a small wiring loom attatched to it, presumably for the infra red receiver and the LEDs, going back to the overhead light console. It is the console that I cannot remove. I want to disconnect the mirror from the car, so that I can then dismantle the mirror to fix the lack of red LED.

Always assuming that it is possible to turn the mirror into a kit of parts of course.

the light console is removed by removing the bulb lenses, and as far as i can remember, there are screws there. Then the whole thing should drop.

Nope! It's not that. There are no screws in the cluster. I'll have to rev up the digital camera and discover how to post a piccy.

Hmm if not screws, im pretty sure it is something uner the lenses that releases it. Was for my CLK and my e class anyway, im sure its same.

GDC, STRATMAN,

my alarm stopped functioning and it was a problem (common apparently ) with the sensor in the mirror, the mirror does pull apart and you can fix the bits inside! I have LEDs and dimming on my mirror.

Believe me, I've tried every combination of levering, pulling and heaving, all without success.

I have taken a lovely picture of it, complete with annotations, but apparently I am not allowed to post attatchments!

Ah well.

If you want to email me the piccy i will post it for you.

Thanks for the offer Ian. I went to your Profile, clicked on 'E-Mail Ian B Walker' and guess what?

"The e-mail facility has been disabled"

I've e-mailed the board's Webmaster asking how to contact the Administrators to ask if.........................

Thanks
DD

Posted for Stratman

Interior light.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Ian, you're a star.

I've poked, prodded, heaved and levered at points A, B and C (and the corresponding points on the other side of the console), in fact it is poddible to see where the metal surround is bent at point A.

Where are the retaining lugs?

The Keyboard Pixie seems to have swapped my S and D keys!

What on Earth does 'poddible' mean?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom