W202 overheating problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jenglish

Car
A209 CLK320
I have a Mercedes C180 W202 - Ive changed thermostat,bled any air traps,While driving the temp stays at 80c or just above.While stuck in traffic for 45 mins to 1 hour Temp rises to the max of 120c,when i continue to drive it just hovers between 120c and 80c.

Touching the radiator one side is hot and the other side is cold - or could it be my water pump ?.
Have a listen

W202 Mercedes C180 Blocked Rad Or Water Pump Failure - YouTube

Is the engine fan operating above 80/90 degrees. If not could be a fuse or relay, or engine temperature sensor?

You say "One SIDE is hot", sure you dont mean "One END" ? (i.e.top/bottom)

My fan is not electric,it runs on the belt so its constantly running..as for the radiator,left side is cold and the right side is warm

Sounds to me like your rad must be blocked, but dont take my word on it..

My fan is viscous coupled operated by temperature (had to change mine 2 yrs ago) i'd have thought yours was too !

Im suspecting its the rad to,did u check my youtube link in the first post ? Would you rule out the water pump?

I wouldnt rule it out, as i had to replace mine, iv never known a water pump block, only leak or be noisy, but i dont think thats your problem, i do think its your rad, & prob your fan too. The idler pulley on these could be what that noise is (yup, iv had to change that too)
Easy way to check if your fan IS temp controlled, wi the engine stone cold & NOT running, you should be able to spin it easily wi your fingers.
When your engine is overly HOT, turn it off, & the fan should be solid (i.e. NOT turnable easily)
Im sorry i cant be more positive, but its very difficult to diagnose by words & video.
Check your fan out, & get your rad flushed by a professional would be my suggestion.

Thanks benness,orderd a recon rad ,should get it today,will let u know if it was the rad

Start engine bring upto high temp, switch OFF engine keep ignition ON check switch at fan and relay, fan engaged magnetically rotating free when driven by fan belt.

IF YOUR TEMP GOES HIGHER THAN SET TEMP OF RADIATOR CAP WILL OPEN AUTOMATIC AND GUSTS THE WATER OUT

Fan is a viscous with clutch,its not electric,so theres no relay.

unfortunatel;y the rcon rad that was delivered was damaged,so im sending it back and getting a new one instead

Last edited:
Make sure you do my check of your fan !

Make sure you do my check of your fan !

Yup just did that,turns out that my fan clutch was faulty,also my water pump was noisy too,i bought a new fan clutch for £45 and a new water pump for £50.ive installed water pump and fan clutch myself,niw the temp just stays at 80c which is great news,will be buying a new rad and will wack that in for good measure.

On my fan when i span it with my fingers ,it spins too freely,theres suppose to be some resistance,its why the fan clutch was faulty.New fan cluctch wont spin freely,it just moves very litle with plenty of ressistance which is good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom