W202 parking brake adjustment.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

timmy

Car
w202 Esprit.
Am trying to do the above without removing the discs. Does anybody know, using the 'clock face' , at which time approx., the adjustment screw is.

hope you are not a blue.
anyway are you trying to access the rear drums?

Sadly, it failed it's MOT yesterday, at the final hurdle too, the parking brake, which on a c-class is as much use as a chocolate fireguard anyway.
I should not think it needs new shoes, as I can't quite see how they would ever wear. So it's either an adjustment or a new cable. Hence, am trying to adjust them. However, trying to find the adjustment screw is proving a tad difficult.
I was going to take the caliper off, then the disc and do it that way, but the 17mm caliper retaining bolts are a little stubborn too. I've put the wheels back on now, but it would be nice to know how I could have done it.

I think there is some adjustment under the rear seat.

Thanks, will have a look, sounds easier than what am doing .

I think it is definitely under the rear seat IIRC and i am sure it can be tensioned.
Anyway hope you will not be walking alone on this one

It is a simple job to locate the rear adjusters, just rotate the wheel and look through the hole using a torch.

One thing about the parking brakes.

They are self adjusting shoes and a combination of thing could cause it to fail the MOT.
Often the linkage and fulcrum points never get lubricated, this can result in excess pressure or even failure of the parking brake to lock the wheels, so that is the first thing to do including the balancing network under the floor.

Oil is better than WD40, move and swing all joints as you go, if the parking brake still fails to lock the wheels, then the parking shoes could be worn out, do take out any excess in the cable. 4-6 clicks is normal

Thanks guys for your help. There is indeed some kind of adjustment under the rear seat, but I was unsure how it worked really, so left it alone. Mrs. timmy took it back to the MOT place, and they did it free of charge and no re-test fee either. She is many times better looking than me which clearly has it's advantages when dealing with grease 'monkeys' . My theory is borne out by the fact that her shed-like Astra Convertible also passed without any advice at all. How shallow!

She's not errm...how do I put this...'encouraging' the garage mechanics to do works for her is she..??

Am ashamed to say that Mrs timmy is a very attractive lady who has exploited a tw*t of an ex-partner who owns the garage! Every cloud........etc. He also owes a considerable amount of CSA to her. Anyway, both cars MOTd for £80. Not bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom