w202 Parking brake 'ratchet' broken

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steviegsi

Car
94' C280 sport
Basically the parking brake is is not locking when its put on. Is this a common fault on a w202 ( 94' model ) ? And more importantly is it an easy diy fix? Tried phoning euro car parts earlier to see if i could get a whole new pedal/unit. They aren't answering. May get down later to ask. If anyone has any info on fixing this it would be of great help! ( only got about 2 weeks to sort it for mot) :thumb:

when you say "broken" do you mean it simply goes to the floor with no braking effect? if so it may simply need adjusting. Do a search on here and you should find how its done (must be simple - I can do it!)

If you can still "brake the car" with the parking brake pedal----just like a mini brake pedal and it "returns" when you release it to its "brake off" position then nothing major is broken. If in addition the release handle under the dash feels "floppy/loose" rather than tight when you would normally pull to release the parking brake then there's a return/pawl spring broken somewhere. Costs pence and takes 10 minutes to fix. Happened on my w124--unfortunately wasn't around to see the repair so can't tell you where it was sorry - possibly the main return spring has broken-its located where the single cable lever system divides into the 2 cables leading to the 2 rear wheels. its close to the main silencer box here's a pic of the mechanism item 94 is the spring

Last edited:
Sorry , meant to add that. The pedal does indeed still operate the brakes as normal just won't lock. The same effect if you were to have a car with a normal handbrake with the button permanently pushed in. I think thats the best way i can explain it.
Would getting a whole new pedal and mechanisms be the way to go? I can't see it being too much trouble as there should only be 2 cables and a few bolts attached?

Honestly think there's probably a fairly cheap and simple solution to this. Check that return spring!

Mate, got my finger out the other day and actually looked at the pedal. A trip to mercedes and a 90 pence spring plus five minutes fiddling, all is now working as it should be ! Cheers!

i think im experiencing this same problem right now, is the mercedes garages the only garages that have these springs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom