w202 Petrol leak when filling.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NOMONEYBUTAMERC

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
BMW X1 . Porsche 968 Boxster
I am shortly being given a 1998 C240 , which is overall in very good nick for its age. Currently owned by a good mate of mine , who has had it very well maintained in his 10 years ownership. Front wings and boot lid have been replaced , and apart from some rust on the bottom of a rear door the car is extremely tidy. One problem though , is when filling up with petrol. He says it can take up to 15 minutes to fill the tank , otherwise it p*sses out all over the floor. It is not blowing back out of the filler , but appears to be leaking badly "somewhere". He was told the tank needs to be removed , necessitating removal of the back axle.
Anyone had a similar issue/ solution please? At 135k it really does run very smoothly ,the interior is mint , so if needs must i am prepared to replace the tank , but not relishing the thought of having to drop the rear axle!

Remove the arch liner (filler neck side) and there are several rubber pipes, over time they become brittle and crack, one side effect is fuel vapour in the cabin after filling and also leaking when trying to brim the tank.

Just done my breather hoses for fuel smell,now gone.If its leaking just under the
rear passenger door it will be the hose to and from the filter/pump,very common fault.did mine 2yr ago.If you can't at first see the leak flex the pipes and see if they weep,they blow internally.

Thanks Martyz. Did yours spill a lot of fuel when filling ?

Finally got the car at the weekend. In great nick, and drives "like new". Took off the osr wheel, removed the plastic arch cover , and sure enough one of the pipes has perished. Hopefully replacing this will sort the fuel problem. Really did not relish the thought of removing the axle and tank.Thanks for the advice guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom