W202 petrol smell

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

W202Paul

Car
W202 C180 Classic
My car smells of fuel in the cabin and boot on start up and for the first few miles, but only when its been standing for a few days. I've searched the threads on this topic. I've removed the osr (driver's side) wheel arch liner and checked all the pipes.

I changed the fuel filter about 6000 miles ago and checked the the pipes around the filter and pump - it all looks fine. I haven't yet removed the nsr liner, but if the lines here are OK, could it be that the charcoal filter needs replacing, and would a symptom be the fuel smell? The car has been family owned from new, and has done nearly 149,000 miles (I don't think the filter has ever been changed).

If the o/s/r pipes and pump supply pipes are ok then you will probably find the
charcoal filter and or the pipes to/from it are perished.

Are you sure the pipes in the O/S/R are ok? As I have had exactly the same issue as you are having with both of my cars, the hoses on both cars looked ok, with only slight perishing visible and I really doubted that it was my issued but as the replacement hose was less than a tenner from MB I replaced it and my problem was solved.

They look OK but I'll check again. Which hose/s did you replace?

Hi,
The one that solved my issues didn't require any arch linings removing to replace it, it was directly behind the top half of the wheel and from memory it was straight with an elbow on it and shaped, I was advised by two separate indys to replace it to solve my issue, this fault is also quite common on the CLK as it is exactly the same as a 208 CLK.
It will have to be bought from MB because of its shape, and even though I knew exactly which one needed replacing it was difficult to identify on the EPC due to its poor out of proportion diagrams.
If you take a pic of the wheel arch with the wheel removed I will point out which hose I replaced if you are having difficulty.

Thanks for the advice. It turned out that the problem was the clip on the inlet side of the fuel filter was loose. Yesterday when I checked I hadn't started the engine; today I did and the problem was immediately obvious.

I did contact MB Macclesfield's Parts Department to ask about the fuel hoses, but they didn't return my call. Could I replace the inlet and outlet hoses with standard fuel hose, or are they pre-formed - the outlet hose is a U shape? Any recommendations for fasteners - I have two jubilee clips at the moment - are spring clips better?

I have a petrol smell on both my w202's when I fill the tank on either vehicle. My 43 has a extra distinct petrol smell only when I drive "briskly" up mountain roads. Could this be the charcoal filter? If so where is it situated. Both my w202's are LHD.

OK after some searching, which I should have done b4 posting the question, the charcoal filter/canister is in the rear wing on the driver's side (LHD).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom