W202 polybelt replacement quote

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lucazade

Car
C200 Elegance (W202)
Hello,

The poly belt in my wife's W202 needs replacing and the local non-Merc garage quoted me over £200 for OE parts (belt and tensioner). That looks a bit steep to me, given the belt alone could be changed in 10 minutes.

Does anybody know how much I should expect to pay using non-OE parts? I know I could use a Continental belt since they're OEM, but no idea where to get pulley/tensioner.

The car has aircon but no self-levelling suspensions, if that's worth knowing.

Thanks

The Tensioner A1112000770 is priced at £75 from MB and its associated shock absorber A1112000414 £38-45 ------stick in a belt at £10/15 and you are up to £100 +in parts--- factor in labour and VAT and you are knocking on the door of £200

Thanks Graeme. The garage quoted about £29 + VAT for the genuine MB belt so I can see where the quote comes from.

I'll need to check as I'm not convinced the tensioner needs changing (the car only has 78k miles), given it shouldn't take more than half hour I might do the job myself instead. ;)

PS: Where did you get the parts numbers?

Uhm, I took a peek as I got home and the shock absorber is missing. It actually looks like it's never been there.

Is there one supposed to be there or is it specific only for certain models?

Attachments

• IMG_1466.jpg
    IMG_1466.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 34
Mine is apparently Dec '98, registered in March '99.

Based on the number plate, Euro Car Parts added the absorber and that's why I started to wonder.

I might stop by the local MB garage to check the correct parts against the VIN ...

It's now more or less sorted. The initial quote of £220 was reduced to £140 with the use of aftermarket parts. Having been told that MB parts are expensive, I went for option B but when I turned up I was told they made a mistake and I had been quoted for replacement of belt and pulley only, not the tensioner. So they returned the pulley, cleaned the one in the car and change tensioner + belt.
Now the car is even noisier. Result!
I'm going to change the pulley as well, but if they charge me labour I might change mechanic too...

why not set aside a sunday and do the job yourself? easily done and satisfying! :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom