W202 poor Radio reception - fixed & thanks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

amgard

I joined this forum purely to try and sort out the problem of the poor radio reception I was experiencing after fitting an aftermarket (Blaupunkt) radio.

After searching this forum the consensus seemed to be the problem was either the aerial amplifier or, much more likely, the aerial plug itself that connects to the back of the radio.

With the help of this forum I found the amplifier, behind the C pillar trim, and disconnected the coax cable to it and did a simple continuity test to the plug behind the radio. Needless to say it was open circuit and after cutting off the plug all I can say is, "no wonder!"

As has already been mentioned on this forum the wire itself is ludicrously thin, a single strand of 0.25mm, and had broken where it connects to the particularly 'cheap' plug.

After soldering a new plug and putting some carefully positioned heatshrink tubing to relieve the strain where the cable enters the plug, all is now perfect with radio reception.

Many thanks to all who have asked, and more importantly, answered previous posts on this subject.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom