W202 Problems?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brightyboy

Car
C180 sport (202)
My c180 sport has developed some annoying problems any help would be greatly accepted.

Firstly, When i start the engine (hot or cold) and put the car in first or reverse to pull away the idle drops to almost stalling point and jumps back up to normal and repeats this until i get into a different gear. This is most annoying. (I have cleaned out the throttle butterfly it was not this.)

Also the temp gauge jumps up to max when driving but if you gove the dash a tap it drops down to 80 and stays there.(the fan is on constantly from startup also,is this normal?)

Help...:crazy:

Last edited:
Few things;

The gauge thing is just your dash dials playing up, this is common on W202's and it can be fixed by checking the wiring at the rear of the dials.

Your fan being on all the time, that could be a the thermostat, but that will only be true if your car is always at 80 degrees.

The dodgey pulling away that you have might be down to the Air flow meter, although i'm not 100% sure about this. Is it a lumpy idle or is your idle ok? and whats it like when u drive it normally?

The idle seems ok when i drive it's just the pulling off in first at a junction or lights it drops as if its going to stall,
A few people i have spoken to in work say it could be a MAF but i would like to ask you guys first before shelling £70 on a new sensor.
I'm dreading it being the ECU.

Thanks for the advice on the dials anyway i'll check this tomorow.(can i get to the wires behind the dials without taking them apart?)

Is the fan supposed to be on all the time?

It does sound like a MAF issue. Your best bet is not to guess at it and waste any money and get it plugged in.

Hi, I have had a similar problem in my w202 c230k where the engine kept cutting off in the morning at times regardless of weather conditions. I just put some fuel cleaner in the tank and it is allright now. But that was with my car, I do not know if yours is related to that problem
Aziz

Last edited:
What year is your car ? Early ones don't have MAFs.The airflow is measured in the throttle body assembly.
Later cars have an electric rather than viscous fan which should only cut in occasionally.
The fan control unit is located behind the NS wheel arch liner.
A constantly running fan will increase fuel consumption.

What year is your car ? Early ones don't have MAFs.The airflow is measured in the throttle body assembly.
Later cars have an electric rather than viscous fan which should only cut in occasionally.
The fan control unit is located behind the NS wheel arch liner.
A constantly running fan will increase fuel consumption.

His car is a 1994.

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=65199

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom