w202 radiator fan ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pingping

Car
mercedes w202
do the radiator cooling fans on the 1995 c180 w202's come on as soon as you start the engine,i always assumed like my old vauxhall it just came on to cool the engine from time to time ?
or have i got a cooling fault.

As far as i have been told and read up, they only come on once the temperature rises past the 100 mark on the temperature gauge on the dash. I am sure i will be re-corrected if this is incorrect.

have a feeling it is the thermostat jammed shut ,as the engine temp rises, water rises from radiator and comes out the radiator filler cap and overflow pipe.

Last edited:
changing thermostat today i hope ,piissinng down with rain ,bugger,next will be the two sensors on the thermostat housing,see what happens ,if all else fails basil fawlty and a branch then beat my car to a damn good thrashing

like the fact you can bleed the ardiator without the need for spanners,just turn the red knobbly spiggot ,hoorah for great design

Last edited:
Does the radiator cooling fan on the w202 1995 suppose to stay on constantly ,has no air con just the basic c180 w202 ?????????? :wallbash:

tried it with my thumb ,fan is strong does not stop :wallbash: just breakes off ya thumb ouch

this vid shows that this guys fan spins as soon as he starts the engine :wallbash:
[YOUTUBE]UYaEwfhfOG8[/YOUTUBE]

if it fails the carrot test then the viscous coupling is most likely knackered.

if it fails the carrot test then the viscous coupling is most likely knackered.

it passed the carrot test tried it with my thumb ,almost took said thumb off it spins fine,and strongly,just wanted to know if it suppose to spin constantly ,my old vauxhall only switched the fan on when the engine got hot

It has a vicous coupling... what do you think it should do? :D

It has a vicous coupling... what do you think it should do? :D

what the buggery is a viscous coupling ,like i said im just used to vauxhalls and there fans coming on when engine gets hot :doh:

When it gets hot, the coupling locks and the fan comes on and your carrot will break in the carrot test. (you'll likely lose a finger too)

I think the fan cuts in at about 85Deg

When it gets hot, the coupling locks and the fan comes on and your carrot will break in the carrot test. (you'll likely lose a finger too)

I think the fan cuts in at about 85Deg

my fan comes on even when the engine is cold started

my fan comes on even when the engine is cold started

First you said it failed, then you said it passed the carrot test, now you are saying it failed again. Make up your mind please. :D

If it always turns then it is likely knackered as per the above video (which happens to be from a forum member).

Last edited:
when the engine is off ,you can spin the fan with ya finger,it moves freely,when you turn the engine on from cold start or warm start ,the fan spins and it passes the carrot test ,it is strong.

hope that made sense :wallbash:

If it spins freely when the engine is cold and switched off then it will also do the same when the engine is cold when running.

You've not actually tried with a carrot have you?

If it spins freely when the engine is cold and switched off then it will also do the same when the engine is cold when running.

You've not actually tried with a carrot have you?

nope i used my thumb .and almost lost it

this vid shows that this guys fan spins as soon as he starts the engine :wallbash:
[YOUTUBE]UYaEwfhfOG8[/YOUTUBE]

so in answer to the question ,does the fan start up as soon as the engine starts up either hot or cold ? then it does as is shown in this vid .

understand how these work now thanks to the above video,good stuff

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom