W202 Rainsensor

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Thanks for the information!

Im guessing my insurance company will want me to go with Autoscreens or somthing, not MB. and they will get my cars details from either the Reg number or my VIN thats why im after the VIN.

My car didn't have rain sensor, so when the screen cracked I just contacted AutoGlass and told them the make and model. They asked what colour, did I want a sun strip and if it had a rain sensor, I of course said yes!! ;)

As above they just see a list of the different available screens and will ask you to tell them what colour tint you have and if you have rain sensor or not etc so you wont need the VIN.

Great! thanks for this, I will ask for a grey/black strip unlike the blue one and for the rain sensor aswell :D

LOL you cant design your own screen. ;) It seems there is only one option for with rain sensor anyway so the tint will be whatever colour it comes with from the factory on screens with rain sensor.

Also dont expect a MB branded screen. If you want a MB one you will need to specifically request it (insurance company may have to agree first). Though an aftermarket one from the likes of Pilkington who make the MB screens should be exactly the same.

Last edited:
The original sunstrips all appear to be grey/black and replacement ones blue. I will ask for grey/black incase they have both, you never know! :)

Hi,
As others have said the windscreen people will ask colour of tint and whether you have a wiper sensor or not, the colour of the tint is what is in the box, mine was black and replaced a black one to be honest I have never seen a different coloured one.
When I had my screen done it came with a clip bonded to the screen for the sensor to clip into then refit the cover over the top. I 'think' to enable auto wipe it will involve activating on STAR, the car will remain as normal intermittent till the sensor has been turned on.

Last edited:
Cheers, mine is currently blue and so was my old W202, both non original windows. Blue dates the car IMO. Although black makes it look like a storms coming : )

My dads old W210 had a replacement which was blue also

Last edited:
Good luck with this mod Karl, as Ian Walker said earlier in the thread I had the screen swapped for one with the integrated lens and the rain sensor was connected up but it never worked for me :(

I think I should have persevered though as I had my 208 screen replaced not long after I bought it and the factory-installed rain sensor didn't work for about a week while it adapted to the new screen (or something).

Did you get my pm?

Booked in for tomorrow, grey sunstrip and rain sensor!

Useful as im selling it :(

IIRC You will need to get the rain sensor activated under STAR to get it to work but Keep us posted either way if it works afterwards none the less.

The blue pad I am sure is a infra-red transmissive bonded fixing, this accuratley positions the sensor assembly in a defined position and distance from the glass surface. This 'standardised' fixed distance mounting, enables an infra red LED transmitter/receiver to beam through a 45 degree focussing lens and operates the wiper control with reference to a change in calibrated reflected signal levels. The signal differs in level if the screen is wet or dry. ( The rain sensor active area is about the size of the palm of your hand ) This in turn controls the wipers. It is often common to require unit calibration via STAR if the auto wiper function malfunctions after a screen swap. (the fault, commonly - 10 constant wipes from turning on, then working correctly until next turned on.) This STAR adjustment takes into account the new screens transmissive properties to the reflected IR levels. Faults can be also due to tiny focus differences in repositioning the unit on the new glass, this effects the IR beam through the lens and more specifically the returned signal level the unit gets. The adjustment of this signal level is what is adjusted in STAR.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom