W202 raising

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Harley Man

Car
2 x CLK W208 ragtop, C220 estate, and loads of motorbikes
Having recently fitted a set of Spax shocks on my C250TD Sport I have found that it has become lower :rolleyes: , I guess because the Spax dont seem to have the springy affect that the orginals have. It now handles rather well but bottoms out on all the speed bumps :( , I was wondering if There are thicker spring seats available, what size the standard ones are and what are the thickest ones they do?. It would be really great if anyone had the part numbers for the thicker ones too

Many thanks

Dave.

OEM springs are a mine field. There are so many variables when you go and order a set.

It is interesting that the car has become lower as the only thing that controls ride height are the springs.

exactly as c55 said, shocks should not determine road height! you can get different primng pads, part numbers are listed on the forum somewhere!

Having recently fitted a set of Spax shocks on my C250TD Sport I have found that it has become lower :rolleyes: , I guess because the Spax dont seem to have the springy affect that the orginals have. It now handles rather well but bottoms out on all the speed bumps :( , I was wondering if There are thicker spring seats available, what size the standard ones are and what are the thickest ones they do?. It would be really great if anyone had the part numbers for the thicker ones too

Many thanks

Dave.

I would say its the shocks causing the problem as the Spax ones are probably less stiff compared to the standard sport shocks and unable to control the spring causing you to bottom out. Its normal for a car to lift slighly after fitting stiffer shocks so I assume the opposite has happened due to fitting softer shocks.

when I took the orginal shocks off they expanded to their full length, and appear to contain a spring or gas pressure, but fairly weak, the Spax shocks are fully adjustable and are damping correctly for the weight of the car, I agree that changing the shocks should not lower the car but think the slight spring affect of the old ones must have assisted the coil springs, therefore I either need slightly longer springs or thicker spring seats to increase the ride hight.

What spring cups do you have fitted now?

The original shocks would have contained rubber bump stops to give a progeressive rate of damping. It sounds like the Spax ones don't have that feature and have longer tubes so are bottoming.

If you still have the originals pull off the dirt covers and see if the bump stops are there, if so see if they will fit the Spax.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom