W202 Rear Diff Leak, Help?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JimC200

Car
2004 w211 estate 2.2 cdi manual, 177k mls
Hey guys i have posted here already about a whining noise from my c200 which i hoped was a wheel bearing gone bad, but alas it seems i have a leaking diff i only noticed when i got down to change the fuel filter today, its not leaking heavily its just a little oil hanging around the bottom of it, and has never left puddles or even drops for that matter but its still there on it

so any suggestions how to (cheaply Sort this out) ?

Buy new seals and fit them.

Buy new seals and fit them.

you reckon it would be just this? and would this cause an intermittent whining when mostly cold? i could maybe have a go at this i think although haynes says not to lol

I would check the oil level first, most MB diffs are "wet"..

I would check the oil level first, most MB diffs are "wet"..

how would one do such a thing? or would i just be better to buy a used diff from scrappy and replace?

Most diffs require that you undo the filler nut while you have the car level. The diff oil should be level with the filler hole. So you can poke your finger in or see if oild drips out. Of just get a bottle of diff oil and squeeze until the oil starts to run out.

had mine done on my c250td, weeping diff seal and had a whine too... think it was £130 to get done at a merc indie, basically parts were in the region of £20, rest was labour

as above get a new seal and refill the diff with new oil job done with the leak the level would be low and that is why you have a noise makes sense

how would one do such a thing? or would i just be better to buy a used diff from scrappy and replace?

No point replacing the diff if it's just low on oil and weeping.

To replace the seals you have to drop the diff down to get the backplate off.

thanks guys i think ill try do the seals and change oil, sort the leak and maybe the mysterious whine, it may still be a bearing but sounds like neither diff nor bearing,

You might be surprised how a change of oil makes the noise go away. Once the EP oil shears down the gear teeth start contacting and that makes a noise.

I bet it's on the original oil. User a good quality, preferably synthetic EP80/90.

You might be surprised how a change of oil makes the noise go away. Once the EP oil shears down the gear teeth start contacting and that makes a noise.

I bet it's on the original oil. User a good quality, preferably synthetic EP80/90.

thanks for all your help good sir I think ill give it a go

okay what was the result of your attempt

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom