W202 rear head rests

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

markymark1

Car
Mercedes C230 1997
Hi can anyone shed any light as to how these work ie by vacuum from the same pump as the central locking or are they fed from something else, i have trouble with the central locking at the moment and when i press the button on the dash i can hear something operating from the rear of the car but the headrests do not go down.
The vacuum pump in the rear has one feed out to a 6 way splitter which i would assume is 4 doors, boot and petrol flap.
The central locking operates the front doors, boot and petrol flap but not the two rear doors although if i push the rear door buttons down lock the car and then unlock it everything unlocks as it should any ideas?
Regards Mark

hi...
i have a c230k sport 1997 ...i had promleb with my head rest b4 ....wat i did was ther is junction box unit under the bonet next to fuse box and all i did i test one by one the i found out wich was not wrking ... but wat u need to is mark wich pipe is for ur head rest (it shud b green) but u chek urz if the same...

So you are saying that its not connected to the central locking pump in the rear so does it work when the engine is running from manifod pressure.

im suer they work togther .....

There is an actuator on the rear shelf which is activated by the switch. Sometimes if your headrests aren't dropping you need to check the vacuum pipes or the diaphragms (the round things which make up part of the brackets which hold the headrests) which are found just under the rear shelf. Either one or both of these units may need replacing but are available from other models such as the W210 which are being broken at MB dismantlers.

i had a problem with my rear headrests not working!
after ripping my car a part found they run off the inlet manfold vaccum like AZIZ said!
the pipe that ran across the back of the engine (grey) had melted!
i dint think this has anything to do with the central ocking system!
i think the central locking pump in the boot has an electic pump inside!

Hi,
Headrests are plumbed into the central locking pump and as NWmerc says operated by a solenoid which is electrically switched from the dash.
If this electrically driven pump is not up to pressure within 15 seconds or so it shuts down until the ignition is switched off/on again this is to save the pump from burning out.
This is certainly true with the facelift vehicles.
Therefore any system on the car supplied with air from this pump was to have a leak none of the other systems would work after the 15 seconds.
Central locking or the ignition triggers the pump, hence why there appears to be no central locking fault.
Not sure what this vacuum pipe across the back of the engine does, i have it on both my cars too.

EDIT,
Just looked at the EPC, and there does appear to be pipe running to the front cabin though i don,t believe this correct as i have no pipe for my C43, unless thats for only a pre facelift set up (bit confused).

Last edited:
Hi,
Headrests are plumbed into the central locking pump and as NWmerc says operated by a solenoid which is electrically switched from the dash.
If this electrically driven pump is not up to pressure within 15 seconds or so it shuts down until the ignition is switched off/on again this is to save the pump from burning out.
This is certainly true with the facelift vehicles.
Therefore any system on the car supplied with air from this pump was to have a leak none of the other systems would work after the 15 seconds.
Central locking or the ignition triggers the pump, hence why there appears to be no central locking fault.
Not sure what this vacuum pipe across the back of the engine does, i have it on both my cars too.

o right!
mine is a pre facelift so the lay outmust be a lil differant!
as my headrests defenatly run off the inletmaifold!

Last edited:
Have you actually looked at the physical pipe connection on the inlet manifold?

Have you actually looked at the physical pipe connection on the inlet manifold?
yea i had to repace it ! it was cooked

Last edited:
B80150000010.0715.gif

from (35) it runs to passanger side over the transmition tunnel then through the bulkhead and the across to the drives side by the fuse box then to the inlet maifold! there is another pipe off it!
think it might b for the light level switch as it heads in that direction!

Yeah your right, apologies, just looked both my prefacelift C230K and my C43 and they both have the pipe into the inlet manifold. Only difference is the air pipe goes into the car on the 43, and my 230 one is connected to a distribution block by the fuse box.
Looking at the EPC again, my 43 pipe terminates in the boot on a valve block.

o right! i thaught originaly that it would be on the same system!
but after ripping the whole car apart looking fot the pipe only to find it had melted just above the engine (in obvious view)
silly system really! as it would make sense to take it from the c/l pump! as its just there!!
less pipe

Looking at my 43 again (facelift) i think the valve block is supplied from the pump when engine is,nt running, i,ll have a good look over the weekend.

Какой шампунь

радио Ретро смотри База телефонов Мегафон
Вендинговые компании Тольятти тыц многогранник упаковка
Loki Patch сайт фон для днева
Sona - Сердце клип вот преостановлено словарь
газета Деловой вторник. выпуск № 7 (546) на блоге программа для изготовления номеров

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom