W202 - Rear Wiper Inop

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tyro190

Just taken delivery of a 1998 C2.5 Elegance Estate.

One known problem was the rear wiper didn't work. I'm now getting ready to have a look at the problem but just wanted to check to see if anyone had already suffered problems,and if so what the fixes were?

At the moment if you press the button nothing happens except the rear washer motor pumps water onto the screen.

Looking forward to any replies.

Could be several things. One vulnerable/ wear area is around the door hinge where the electrical cabling is routed into the door. Maybe worth checking the wiring there.

I have the EXACT same problem on my 2002 W210.

I suspect the wiring into the tailgate.

I had a new tailgate courtesy of MB rust warranty and the pear-shaped gromet at the end of the sleeve that houses the cables was inserted the wrong way up - in other words twisted. :rolleyes:

May be just wear and tear.:dk:

I may have time to look at my wiring this weekend so I'll post with what I find. :thumb:

I took the rear trim panel off yesterday to have a preliminary look at the wiper motor.

I found the 3 wire supply was not fitted to the wiper motor connector. I could also see that an earthing wire from the motor(?) was not connected to anything, just in mid air. 2 wires connected to the motor, can't remember the colours now, had some of the sheathing stripped away and the copper cores exposed. All very interesting and in need of further investigation at a later date.

However, also fitted to the wiper wiring was another multi-connector block. Nothing was connected to it and there was no obvious loose wiring. It was about an inch square with perhaps 8 or 9 possible connectors although there were only about 4 wires attached.

Does anyone have any idea what it could be for and what might connect to it?

sorry to drag up an old thread...

Hi Tyro190, don't suppose you can remember any gotchas about removing the trim panel?

I have to remove mine as the pipe from the washer bottle has split/come away as it barely produces any flow at the nozzle and has soaked the bottom of the trim panel (smells very strongly of washer fluid).

Cheers, I shall raise a mug of tea to you for a job well done hopefully.

On this same subject, my c240 wagon has stopped squirting water on the rear window - tank is full, washer motor and pump running ok but nothing coming out. Took off panel and all looks ok and dry so there must be a leak or detachment elsewhere. Does anyone have any suggestions or even a diagram of where the pipe runs from the tank? Cheers

Finally managed to get around to looking at this, managed to get all the trim off (without busting a clip!).

The leak is now clearly the point at which the motor connects to the arm. Sigh.

My next hold up is actually getting the wiper arm off, I have undone the nut but the damn thing appears to be stuck. With no obvious place to get a decent pry onto it, I've given it a dose of WD40 and will see if that loosens it at all.

In the mean time, tea and a biccy.

The arm will be tightly fitted onto the tapered spline. You need to apply even force around the circumference to remove it, either by use of a couple of big screwdrivers or similar tool with a long straight shaft, or a puller tool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom