W202 regular cleaning tip

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Have you ever washed your C-class, chamios'd it down, admired it and then gone back half an hour later to find dried - on water stains underneath the door mirrors ? That's because somehow water gets in behind the seals during hosing down, and then sneaks out when you're not looking. Answer is to finish rinsing and then bend each mirror housing back and then forward to release the trapped water, and then do it again just before drying off the whole car.

Nice tip :)

I dry mine with a big bath towel. I just drag it across the whole car slowly and it pulls most of the water out of all the crevices very nicely, but not from behind the mirrors.

Top tip, a practice I have had to use for about the last 3 years!

GrahamC230K said:
Top tip, a practice I have had to use for about the last 3 years!
The mirrors seem to hold a LOT of water too!

A gentle once - over with a window cleaner's squeedgee removes the 1.3 gallons of water that sits on a polished estate roof before finishing off with tanned skin of rare mountain mammal.

If you fitted a drain between the door mirrors and the washer bottle, you could cut down the refills from once per year to once every other year !

Days? Hours ! No not really... but it is a matter of days, six big wide nozzles on the windscreen and two equally wide nozzles on the headlamps - all from a meagre five litre tank. Any more than a very quick squirt and you just know the light will be on.

In this weather the petrol tank lasts longer than the washer tank (and the petrol tank doesn't take long to empty either).

I like the idea of draining the mirrors into the tank, might just be easier to fit a secondary tank though.

Perhaps Concordes have larger washer tanks ?

No washer tanks at all on Concorde, but 95 tonnes of fuel would get your average Merc just short of one million miles, just nicely run - in !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom