w202 removing door guard strips?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KillerHERTZ

Administrator
Staff member
Car
SL63 AMG
Has anyone ever remove the door guard rubbing strips on the w202 (or any other model?)

I wish to remove & respray them to get rid of the crome strip & make them the same colour as the car, instead of being slightly blue'er.

On the 4 doors, there appears to be a screw on the outer edge, apart from this are they simply held on with sticky tape?

Cheers

Khz

the ones on the W124 clip on, undo the screw then slide the trim slightly to the rear of the door and they fall off :)

refitting is the reverse only not always as easy to get all the clips engaged

HTH

Andy

:)

Cheers, I would imagin they are the same, has anyone ever painted over crome?

would I sand over it? it doesnt appear to be 'leaf' crome?

U doing the bumpers as well ? A good bodyshop should be able 2 advise.

S.

Front bumper is already on & is a Facelift 'Sport' so doesnt have any crome. Nor will the rear when its on.

I was thinking of doing the strips myself as they are small.

are the strips "real" chrome or the plastic coated stuff?

if it's real chrome you need to roughen the surface very slightly then spray them with an etch primer, undercoat then top coat and lacquer

if it's the plastic coated stuff - whatever you do is goingto look awful as soon as it gets a little weathered so you either need to remove it completely, live with it or be prepared to repaint every few months

Andy

Managed to remove them ok, how do you get the small piece at the rear wheelarch off + the part with 'Elegance' one it?

Managed to remove them ok, how do you get the small piece at the rear wheelarch off + the part with 'Elegance' one it?

I too would love to know how on earth to get the "extra" bits of trim off the sides. Driving me mad...

Expansion snaps? I think the are the pegs similar to what is used on the door card, if so, then the just pull off.

YouTube - Model202 C.MPG

Dec

A plastic spatula can be used to remove the small moulding on the wing and behind the back door. Slide it in behind and gently lever the pieces off.

arent the w202 ones screwd in from behind?

arent the w202 ones screwd in from behind?

Only 1 screw per door (visible with the door open) then you slide them towards the back of the car while pulling out.

Ancient thread alert!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom