W202 Replacement Window Switches?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stackahumanoid

Car
1998 W202 C200 Estate
I've an issue with my drivers side electric window and door mirror working intermittently - I've seen this replacement console on Ebay but my car doesn't have the button to disable the airbag... can anyone tell me if this will work in my car?

I've got a '98 W202 C200 Estate

MERCEDES C CLASS W202 FACELIFT WINDOW SWITCHES | eBay

You don't need the entire console - any switches that you may require will pop out easily and can be bought individually.

You don't need the entire console - any switches that you may require will pop out easily and can be bought individually.

Thanks Scott_F... and presumably the same's true for the electric mirror controls?

Guess I could test it by swapping over the driver/passenger side switches?

May need to invest in a set of tiny screwdrivers...

If it doesnt, careful with replacing the entire switch block as there are mulitple depending on pre-facelift/facelift, estate or saloon and spec level.

On 1998 car you have to replace all the switches and airbag light as it is all one unit, the switches are not individual, but part of a switch pack, you might be able to de-solder the individual switches off of the board though.

Thanks Scott_F... and presumably the same's true for the electric mirror controls?

Guess I could test it by swapping over the driver/passenger side switches?

May need to invest in a set of tiny screwdrivers...

I don't know about the mirror switch but I have taken out the window switches from a 1996 / 97 W202 and it was easy as long as you are careful not to damage the veneer on the panel when you remove it.

Facelift saloon block:
21082139517C45-M56.jpg

Pre-facelift Switch - all are seperate:
$_35.JPG

I think I'll remove the panel again and post some pics and the part no... just to be sure!

Thanks again andy27168 KillerHERTZ and Scott_F

Are you sure its the switch pack that is at fault?

Are you sure its the switch pack that is at fault?

Not 100%... But not sure what else to try?

Replacing/re-seating fuses hasn't made any difference, and the other switches in the console work ok...

Happy to try other ideas!

The mirror is wired directly to the console switch whereas the windows are operated by the Door control unit and actuated by the console switch, very common for the DCM to fail though this will not fix your mirror issue.
Have a look at the cabling that goes to the door in the rubber trunking/boot between the door and the car, continual opening/shutting the door can damage the cables, the conductors can snap leaving the insulation intact.

The mirror is wired directly to the console switch whereas the windows are operated by the Door control unit and actuated by the console switch, very common for the DCM to fail though this will not fix your mirror issue.
Have a look at the cabling that goes to the door in the rubber trunking/boot between the door and the car, continual opening/shutting the door can damage the cables, the conductors can snap leaving the insulation intact.

Thanks @andy27168... I'll have a look at that too...

Is the door control unit the switch in the door jamb? The thing that's closed when you close the door?

I'll inspect the wiring and see what I can see...

Door control unit is actually fitted in the door, if you google images a Mercedes DCM for pic, it is fitted in the upper forward part of the door behind the door card and has a multi plug going to it.

Door control unit is actually fitted in the door, if you google images a Mercedes DCM for pic, it is fitted in the upper forward part of the door behind the door card and has a multi plug going to it.

Ah ok, so i could try replacing/re-seat that unit rather than the console switch? I can see that the trim on the drivers door card has been removed before, so it looks like it's been investigated previously...

Or rather than throwing parts at it get it plugged in.

stackahumanoid said:
Do you mean plugged into a STAR system, or would any OBD code reader pick up this kind of error?

No. It needs a Star.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom