w202 rust,how best to tackle it

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jasons

SUPPORTER
Car
w204 c220 cdi sport
hi I have some rust on the rear arches on my w202 and was wondering how best to tackle it,what products to use etc,i take it I grind it back to bare metal if there is any metal left and then what.

Depends entirely on how much metal is left. You may have to have some cutting/welding done or just use a decent rust treatment (I've used Aquasteel on my W202 and my Jeep to good effect). Then it'll need a lot of filing, sanding, smoothing etc and repainting.
It's a big leap of faith to get stuck in with the old angle grinder... it may be a big moment of dismay, or one of relief that it isn't as bad as all that after all.
In for a penny...! Good luck!

A thick grade wire 'cup brush' (like rope twists) on an angle grinder is the best way to start the exploration.
A grinding disc is much too aggressive on body panels, unless you are used to handling one. You want to make the most of what's left!

Protect your eyes and hands, btw...

Wire cup brushes and other knotted wire brushes are also brutal on body-work.
I recommend carbonide cleaning discs.

Cut it out .No way out of this ,remove all the rust and get a patch welded in place .Never go again .The filling in and spray is just a waist of time as it will return again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom