W202 - Scraping noise coming from rear wheels, ?wheel bearings?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Touche

Car
w202 C200
Following on from my thread a couple of years ago (http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/parts-maintenance-servicing/158153-w202-worth-rescuing.html)...

After a 7-8 year lay up sitting on my parents driveway, my dad's w202 c200 had been in use regularly by my father-in-law for the past couple of years until about 6 months ago. His need for it disappeared and the car sat on my drive for about 4 months. The MOT expired this month and I hadn't given it a service since 2013 so decided to give it a going over. Gave it a service, changed spark plugs and aux belt etc.

When I moved it I noticed some grinding/scraping noise. I had assumsed this was from crusty brakes as they were really badly rusted with pitting on the disc surfaces. So today I went to change all the brake discs + pads. Only made it as far as the rears because I was trying to work out what was causing the grinding...

I had the car up on jackstands. Got the rear brake discs and pads off. Put new ones on... but the grinding persisted whenever the rear wheels moved. I manually retracted the handbrakes fully (which looked fine) and even tested with both the brake discs and pads removed again... grinding persisted.

When I got in the car and put it into gear then ran up the gears the grinding just got worse and there was stuttering of the engine as if the engine was working against brakes and was going to stall. The ESP warning light kept flashing too. This happened even with the brakes removed!

With the car up jacked up I tried to grab and rock the rear wheels but couldn't see any play.

The scraping seemed to be coming from both sides.

Is it possible the wheels bearings have rusted from sitting so long? Any other suggestions?

esp will complain as it thinks you are wheelspinning.... turn it off. check its not wheel bolts hitting handbrake shoe springs.

Wheels were off with no wheel bolts in!

Previously I could get the car cruising in 5th gear on jackstands without it complaining? There is definite scraping/grinding noise :(

Propshaft scraping on something?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom