W202 SRS light NOT coming on

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chris_dub

Car
2004 E200 Avant Garde
Hi guys, this is my first post. My car has been lying idle for almost 8 months with the odd start here and there. I took it for NCT (National Car Test) today and it failed because the SRS light is not coming on at all, apparently signifying that there is a problem with the airbag system. Anyone got any ideas on a fix? Thanks in advance :thumb:

I would have said the bulb as well. It might have even been taken out.

Thought of that myself but haven't gotten round to pulling the cluster out yet.

I forgot to mention that the battery has been replaced but has completely died a couple of times since it's been lying up, would that have anything to do with it? I've seen a few threads in relation to the the SRS light staying on because of a battery change and was wondering if it might have caused this.

Ok, I pulled out the cluster this evening and the bulb is there and working. I moved a few bulbs around (and replaced a few while I was there!) but the SRS bulb is definitely working but not coming on. I'm totally at a loss now. Besides taking it to a main dealer, has anyone got any suggestions?

Thought of that myself but haven't gotten round to pulling the cluster out yet.

I forgot to mention that the battery has been replaced but has completely died a couple of times since it's been lying up, would that have anything to do with it? I've seen a few threads in relation to the the SRS light staying on because of a battery change and was wondering if it might have caused this.

Duff alternator output lights up the ABS light on my W124, so could be a low Voltage/charging problem ?

Battery is fine now that the car is in use again, problem is I took it for NCT (Irish National Car Test) and it failed because the SRS light is not lighting up when the ignition is turned on. I've pulled the cluster and the bulb is working but still not lighting up.

You'll need to read the fault codes next (with star, security based faults are difficult enough to resolve even with reliable codes).

I know this is a old post but I have a very very similiar problem with a 2005 SL 350 ( R230) that I just purchased.. I know the car was not used for approx. 4 months before my purchase and possibly longer. but I only noticed after purchase the the SRS light on my car does also not come on at all. I have seen if flash one or twice when I have turned the car off, so I know the bulb is there and works

The reason that a car will fail it's MOT test if the SRS light doesn't come on when the instrument cluster lights are being tested at startup, is that people have been known to remove the SRS bulb (or the ABS bulb, or the EML/MIL bulb, etc) instead of fixing a fault with the car. Obviously, on modern integrated or LED instrument clusters it's not so easily done.

In your case, the only way forward is to have the codes read by STAR, of failing that, by iCarsoft or Carly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom