w202 starting problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

timmy

Car
w202 Esprit.
Am having problems starting my 1993 c180. Basically, all the dash lights illuminate as if it is going to start but when the key is fully turned, nothing happens at all. Thought of the immobiliser, or ECU etc. However a high pitched electrical squeal came from a part situated after the air intake pipes and directly behind the throttle mechanism. It's an alloy and black plastic square component with the following numbers on it;
408.227/121/001
000.141 91 25
Are these part numbers? And what is the component? Any thoughts please, the car is driving me mad at present.

According to the Russian parts website, it's an idle speed actuator. Idle being the operative word too! :)

Try disconnecting it..it's a stepper motor but it's locked probably due to a controller fault.
It may have shut the throttle flap completely.

Thanks for the reply, and excuse my ignorance, but how do i disconnect it, and would a fault with this component result in the symptons I have. :confused:

On reading again I'd say it won't cause the fault you have.
i can't remember if your car is manual or auto. If auto suspect the Park inhibitor switch, manual suspect either the starter motor/solenoid or ignition switch.

When trying to start give the starter motor a clout with something, it may free off either a worn brush or stuck solenoid.
It's odd that there isn't even a click, so check the thin wire onto the starter motor is connected. That's the one from the ignition switch to operate the solenoid.

It's a manual. The car does start most of the time, it's an intermitent fault, which is even more annoying, as it normally fails at the most inopportune times. The only reason I thought it was the actuator was because it was making a strange noise. However, the actual problem may make the actuator faulty too??? who knows

And Me

Exactly the same issue I have and mines an auto. Only happens now and again, all the dashboard lights light up, key turns and nothing. Turn key off and on again usually starts first time then.

This happens twice or three times a week normally in a filling station!

This happens twice or three times a week normally in a filling station!

Ah ha!

I get exactly the same thing at the filling station!

I've found the way to remedy it is to turn the ignition on, then pause - the light come on, the petrol gauge flicks up to position. As this happens I hear a whirr in the background which stops after a second or so - i'm guessing this is because fuel pump needs to repressurise or something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom