W202 Sticky Wiper and wiper parked position

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ekko Star

Hi guys,

My single windscreen wiper began moving very slowly yesterday and was struggling to make it across the screen.

I followed the wiper thread and took the cover off and re-greased the thing. There was literally no grease on it so it defo needed it !

Anyway that fixed the movement problem and the wiper is following a smooth action once again.

However, the wiper now parks dead vertical on the screen !!! Bit annoying as I've tried to force the wiper down but it appears the whole thing is out of sync with where the motor thinks it is.

Any fix for this and is it difficult ?

Hi guys,

My single windscreen wiper began moving very slowly yesterday and was struggling to make it across the screen.

I followed the wiper thread and took the cover off and re-greased the thing. There was literally no grease on it so it defo needed it !

Anyway that fixed the movement problem and the wiper is following a smooth action once again.

However, the wiper now parks dead vertical on the screen !!! Bit annoying as I've tried to force the wiper down but it appears the whole thing is out of sync with where the motor thinks it is.

Any fix for this and is it difficult ?
Your problem is that the nut ii loose on top,just slacken it and move the arm to the parked position and tighten it again, a little tighter

Television, which nut are we talking about here ?

Do I have to take the whole wiper assembly off ? Or is it under the large plastic cover where I applied all the lubricant ?

Anyone have an idea ? Do I have to take the whole assembly out to correct this ?

Thers a How To somewhere to fix the park position on this thread, see if I can find it.

Malcolm, you must be thinking of another car, you do have to take the assembly out on a W202 to park the wiper.

Ekko, if you are reasonably handy with a spanner it is easy enough, takes about 2 hours, the tricky bit is getting the blade to park exactly where you want it. As gurpz said there is a how to on removing the assembly, Australian I think. Do a search on “parking wiper” I can talk you through it if need be.

Dec

Ekko, where abouts are you located ?

Malcolm, you must be thinking of another car, you do have to take the assembly out on a W202 to park the wiper.

Ekko, if you are reasonably handy with a spanner it is easy enough, takes about 2 hours, the tricky bit is getting the blade to park exactly where you want it. As gurpz said there is a how to on removing the assembly, Australian I think. Do a search on “parking wiper” I can talk you through it if need be.

Dec

I am away of the problems of parking if you take it all out, that should not be necessary as the drive has only slipped

In the morning I can look it up

Ekko, where abouts are you located ?

Luton Bedfordshire.

I can manage with a spanner, but I'm not keen on taking all that windscreen cowling off. Looks like it might be bit of a job getting it all back together.

It's a W202 and if I take off the large plastic cover there are no bolts or nuts visible. However when the mechanism goes around there is a screw visible in the centre. Can ypu undo this ?

How tricky is it getting the wiper to park properly ?

Thanks

If the sweep is correct and the blade is not hitting the A pillars, but it parks in the center of the screen, then the nut on the gear head shaft must be loose allowing the mechanism to have gone out of line. when parked it is a matter of undoing the nut, moving the arm to the correct place, and re tighten the nut

Please send me a PM with your email address and I will send you a paper

Just for reference on these things it is the same system on the 129,208 and 210
There are on most calibration marks for all of the moving parts.

Luton Bedfordshire.

I can manage with a spanner, but I'm not keen on taking all that windscreen cowling off. Looks like it might be bit of a job getting it all back together.

It's a W202 and if I take off the large plastic cover there are no bolts or nuts visible. However when the mechanism goes around there is a screw visible in the centre. Can ypu undo this ?

How tricky is it getting the wiper to park properly ?

Thanks

The "screw" that is visable in the centre looks like a screw but it is in fact a rivet and so cant be undone.

When I said trickey to park I mean you may need a couple of attempts to get it exactly where you want it to park.

I found the link relating to removal...http://members.lycos.nl/mbenz/windshield_wiper.htm

Dec

Got up early today and got stuck into it :)

It was relatively straightforward dismantling the bits. Well thought out thorough German engineering as usual.

The trickiest bit was undoing the bolt holding the rubber bung at the bottom of the wiper motor. I have an early W202 and it meant undoing it completely but it was awkward as access is hampered by the back of the engine on this model.

Got the whole assembly out and I adjusted the actuator arm by loosening the bolt at the motor end. Then I moved the assembly so that the wiper arm was resting at the lowest point of it's arc, as would appear on drivers side. I assumed this would be the correct parked position and I was right. Tightened everything up and greased all the moving parts.

Popped off the large plastic external cover on the mechanism and puts loads and loads of grease inside. The cover comes off quite easily if you depress the middle of it using both thumbs and pull at the edges with your fingers. A bit like taking the lid off a sandwich box. Once you get this technique it really is easy to do.

Reverse assembly for everything and all the bits went into place quite easily.

All in all it took me 1.5hrs. Wiper is working back to normal and very, very smooth.

Thanks for all the help and the excellent how to threads on this forum :rock:

Great stuff, did you take any pictures in the process ?

Hi Guys my wiper is sticking in the middle will need to lubricate it. I have some lithium based grease at home but no silicone based one. Since Halfords is a bit of a drive away didn't want to drive with no wiper. So question is:
Will there be any difference between Silicone based grease and Lithium based one?

I don't really know what the difference is but I have been using lithium based grease on mine for years, always lubricate 3 or 4 times a year as it is only a 5 minute job.

Dec

I am sure that I posted this.

Silicon or PTFE lubricant that is water proof can be bought from garden machinery repair places or machine tool outlet

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom