W202 suspension noise

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex Argent

Car
E250 CDi Sport Auto
Hi Guys
I've now had my C240 for around 6 months and am over the moon with it. However one (small I hope!) problem is the 'clattering' noises when traversing a rough surface. If anything, this seems to have got slightly worse over the 7k miles I've put on it during this period, although this could well be me just getting used to it. Most of the noise seems to be emanating from the front end but it's difficult to say that there is nothing coming from the rear.
I've previously seen a few threads on this forum concerning W202 suspension and the two things that have been stated is 1) anti-roll bar mounting bushes, and 2) suspension arm mounts. The car's coming up for an 'A' service in another 2k miles, so I might just get the stealership to take a look (at £55 p.h. I would prefer a quick glance!) and get their opinion. Assuming it can be confirmed that this is the problem, has anyone changed these bushes and/or mountings themselves and if so, what sort of a job is it? I would rate my mechanical aptitute as above average (in fact earlier last year I changed the front anti-roll bar mounting rubbers on a previously owned Volvo 850 - fortunately that went together with the pipe and slippers, and unsurprisingly is still on the forecourt in the MB dealers!!). As there is no Workshop Manual available for the C240/C280, I cannot get the information on how difficult or simple a job it is.
By the way it's an Elegance model therefore has the 'standard' suspension, and is running on standard wheels/tyres (195/65 15'' SP Sports). I've tried moving all the wheels from left to right and from top to bottom, and there doesn't appear to any play in the bearings.
Any advice will be really appreciated - as always.
Thanks in anticipation,
Alex
*Edit - I forgot to say that it's as quiet as a mouse on good road surfaces/motorways etc. - Edit*

Last edited:
Alex Argent said:
As there is no Workshop Manual available for the C240/C280, I cannot get the information on how difficult or simple a job it is.

Hi Alex,
Can't give you much first hand advice on this but I have the Haynes manual that covers the 202 and although as you say it does not cover our model, I'm sure the suspension looks the same. If no one can confirm this before the weekend I will get under the front end and have a look.
Mark

Im going to sound daft now arn't I.Just a quick thought off top of my head could the air box be loose and banging on the inner wing causing a knock on bad surfaces?

To check the bushes you have to have the wheel off the ground and the car on axle stands under the chassis. You wont fell any play if you jack up under the suspension. Sorry if I am stating the obvious.

Hi Mark, Ian and 'Pluggers',
Thanks for the advice on this. I had already checked for anything loose under the bonnet and all is well. The noise is definitely from the suspension. I agree that the C240 suspension is probably the same as other W202 models covered in the Haynes Manual. Maybe I should cough up the £15 or so for this because at least it covers the range universally, it's just that I have been reluctant to buy one to-date because the V6 engines are totally different beasts and are definitely not covered.
I intend to have all the wheels off tomorrow and jack up the car (but not in that order!) to take a looksee.
I'll let you know what I find.
Thanks again
Alex

Alex Argent said:
Hi Guys
I've now had my C240 for around 6 months and am over the moon with it. However one (small I hope!) problem is the 'clattering' noises when traversing a rough surface.

Hi,

I've been here before with other cars but the principles apply to practically anything.

TEST - Drive over the bumpy surface and feather the brake lightly against the throttle such that your speed is constant-ish. This will load the front susp. arms and AR-bar backwards and take out any slop in the bushings.

If the noise stops while the brakes are on then your fault is likely to be in the bushings. If it doesn't then the noise is likely to be something moving up and down - I would look to the shock, shockmounts, or spring-mounts in this case.

Good Luck

My money is on stabilizer bar links, assuming the W202 has them.

My E Class started to make a right old noise over poor road surfaces at low speeds, like a thumping noise. Diagnosed as the above by my garage (Andy Gayle, Birmingham). Cost wise they are about a tenner each, probably about half an hour each side to replace at a guess?

Car now silent again.

Best of luck,

Greg

Hi Alex,

Good luck in sorting the suspension gremlin.

With regard the Haynes manual, I deliberated for ages as to whether or not buy one as it does state "V6 models not covered" but in the end I got one as there is useful info in there that can be used on our cars. I think the fact that our engine isn't covered is balanced out by all the other items it does cover. Another phrase that springs to mind is that it is better than nothing.

S.

Thanks for all your help on this.
Steve, good to hear from you again. You must have been reading my mind because I finally succumbed and bought a Haynes manual this afternoon! There is certainly a lot more relevant stuff in it than I originally thought.
Best regards
Alex

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom