W202 Tappets Help Please Newbie ;)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

britts

Hi,
Please can someone help, my w202 has been making some strange noises. I have been told that this sounds like the tappets need adjusting, I am a little confused as I thought on the w202 these were self adjusting, I have read several post concerning, the tappets, but I have not seen any mention of if they are self adjustable, if they can be adjusted does anyone have any idle of the clearance ?. I have read that they can be "sticky", is there no way of releasing them using a type of lubercant ?, also can someone tell me where they are located, are they under the engine cover ?, how many are there ?, I have looked up the price on Euro Car Parts, their around £16.

Please forgive the really stupid questions, but I am not a Mechanic, I have owned this car for 11 years plus now, I always had it serviced at MB in Bristol, but I can't afford it these days, hence why am here.

Any assistance anyone can offer would be greatly appericated.

Thanks in Advance

Britts

Hi,
Welcome to the forum.
The tappets are self adjusting.
Is the oil level correct? When did the oil and filter last get changed?

Last edited:
Hi Andy,
Thanks for your response, The Car was sat around for 8 months during the winter of 08/09, I had a job with a company car, and as I was not doing very much personal milage and there car was brand new it made sense to use there's and save the ware and tare on bigbird (My Nickname for the car).

Therefore I am off to euro car parts tomorrow to but, new Oil (2x5l Semi-Syth), oil/air/fuel filters, and a new set of spark plugs.

Do you think that the problems could be resolved just by changing the above.

Thanks

Hi,
It might be worth using some flushing oil as well.
It could be hit or miss to wether it solves your problem but either way it is the cheapest option intially.
I personally think it will solve your issues.

Hi Andy,
Thanks for your response, The Car was sat around for 8 months during the winter of 08/09, I had a job with a company car, and as I was not doing very much personal milage and there car was brand new it made sense to use there's and save the ware and tare on bigbird (My Nickname for the car).

Therefore I am off to euro car parts tomorrow to but, new Oil (2x5l Semi-Syth), oil/air/fuel filters, and a new set of spark plugs.

Do you think that the problems could be resolved just by changing the above.

Thanks

I ran some semi synthetic diesel oil through my old rover turbo petrol for a few hundred miles then did a flush and change with semi synthetic. Freed up sticking tappets a treat.
If I were you I'd buy some flushing oil and run it through with that first as part of your oil change.

Hi cazyp,
Sounds like a good plan, thanks for that, I will have a look around for some :)

Insted of Flushing oil, I have had a look around and found some engine flush, apparantly you just add it before you put the new oil in, but the I assume once the sludge has broken down, it gets traped in the nice new oil filter, I will have just replaced ?, has anyone used this stuff, I found 2, one made by Valvoline and the other by STP.

You put the flushing oil in with the old oil run for twenty or so minutes then change oil as normal.
If you follow the directions on the tin you won,t go wrong.

Insted of Flushing oil, I have had a look around and found some engine flush, apparantly you just add it before you put the new oil in, but the I assume once the sludge has broken down, it gets traped in the nice new oil filter, I will have just replaced ?, has anyone used this stuff, I found 2, one made by Valvoline and the other by STP.

I would not use Engine Flush on a old engine as it will do more harm than good :(
Better off to change the oil and filter for cheaper oil and run it for 500 miles and then change the oil and filter again with good quality oil :thumb:

Hi Andy, thanks for that. sorry another dumb question, I think the car holds around 10ltrs of oil, or maybe I am way off with that, but anyway, so I should drain off some of the oil to add the flushing oil, say 1 5lt bottle of flushing oil then take the car for a drive then change the oil and filter. Maybe I should read the instuctions first before bugging you anymore with this, then it might make more sense.

Hi Justin, what are your thoughts on the flushing oil rather than the engine flush stuff ?

sorry everyone, just thought I should add that bigbird is a 98 C200, with 92k on the clock.

You get different types of flushing oil, with different ways of using them, i have only used a flushing oil additive which is used as i described above and to be honest i would,nt use the other type.

Thanks for the advice everyone, I think I have a good idle of where I am going with this now.

i wouldnt bother with flushing oil as it has a habbit of ruining hydraulic tappets on older engines , put the tin addative stuff in with your old oil and run it as per the instructions then do an oil and filter change then repeat it all after a couple of thousand miles

Hi Andy, Given everything that has been said here, that was now my plan, and if the tappets dont calm down then I will have to address that problem after. Thanks for the bit about ruining hyd tappets, thats useful info, ;)

Hi Andy, Given everything that has been said here, that was now my plan, and if the tappets dont calm down then I will have to address that problem after. Thanks for the bit about ruining hyd tappets, thats useful info, ;)

That's what i said in my first post mate :confused:

yea sorry I have just re-read your post, I read it incorrectly first time, plus I am as confused as a baboon in a round room, about all this. I fix computers not cars normally, just the sound of the engine at the moment is driving me crazy, plus I cant afford for the car to go wrong. Hopeful a new contract or perm job will come along in this year, and then I can send it to MB for the works, although it's rusting as well, but as long as the mechanics are good.

yea sorry I have just re-read your post, I read it incorrectly first time, plus I am as confused as a baboon in a round room, about all this. I fix computers not cars normally, just the sound of the engine at the moment is driving me crazy, plus I cant afford for the car to go wrong. Hopeful a new contract or perm job will come along in this year, and then I can send it to MB for the works, although it's rusting as well, but as long as the mechanics are good.

Them engines are 100% reliable mate :thumb: 111 engines run for ever as long as you change the oil and filter regular

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom