W202 temp gauge accuracy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

thephatmaster

Car
W202, C200 Saloon, Manual
hi there,

I'm thinking of fitting a grille block to my W202 to improve fuel economy (better aero, quicker warm-up). I've had good results with grille blocks on other cars.

Can I ask, is the W202 temp gauge accurate? it seems to read around (either slightly above or below) 85, whereas my old car would pretend everythibg was fiiiiine and read the correct operating temp "bang on" irrespective of conditions - so was clearly not to be trusted.

From my experience with a 180, a 200 and my current 230K the gauge is spot on. As for a grille block I doubt it's needed or there's any real advantage in fitting one.

The coolant system working in good order seems first rate. Fresh coolant, a new thermostat, fan coupling and rad cap can transform the way it operates. And for a few quid it's always worth changing the engine temp switch too.

Just checked my engine temp as I have the OBD connected up most of the time. OBD readout 87C, gauge showing the same.

thanks that's good to know.

just out of interest, what obd tool are you using? I know the Elm327 ones don't work with the W202 but all the others seem super-expensive

The ELM will work. All you need is an adaptor lead from 38 pin to 16 pin, loads on eBay and only a few quid. . YOu'll also need the lead to use any OBD scan tool. I've a very basic Autel for just engine operation parameters which I leave it in the car and usually hooked up. There's better out there, worth considering getting one that covers also ABS, SRS etc,

100% Original Autel AutoLink AL319 OBDII & CAN Code Reader ship from USA warehosue

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom