w202 tensioner noise? help please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bradspau

Car
Mercedes C180 W203 Facelift (2006)
I have a 1998 W202 C180 manual. I am about to sell this car and it has suddenly developed a problem (typical). When running there is a grating, whistling sound from the engine. This happens with clutch up or down and seems to get louder at higher revs. It is most noticable when driving around the 2500-3000rpm mark. After looking through forums, I think it may be the drive belt tensioner. I have replaced the V-belt and that has not resolved it. Any suggestions on the tensioner front, or any other ideas will be appreciated. How can I tell if it is the tensioner ?. Is it advisable to replace the tensioner pulley, the damper, or the complete assy.

Help please as I need to sort this before I sell the car.

I had to replace the damper as well as the belt :(

elp please as I need to sort this before I sell the car.

Do a search for 'damper', 'tensioner pulley' etc etc and you'll find loads of info covering all that you need - or ay least as much as anyone on the forum knows and has experienced

I recently replaced a tensioner for the poly 'V' belt on mt 1997 C230K. It was on the s/c side, and so may be totally different to yours?

But to aid diagnosis I used a long screwdriver to locate the noise (squeel) and then pinpointed it to the belt tensioner on the s/c side. For just a second I stalled the tensioner with a pry bar to be absolutley certain.

Replacement was an easy job, just one allen bolt and a plastic cap to remove.

May not be applicable to you, but using a screwdriver as a 'stethoscope' can be useful for locating a noise. :)

Will

Its a very very common problem on the 202. Just change the tensioner...
The part is around £20...

Thanks

Jay

jaymanek said:
Its a very very common problem on the 202. Just change the tensioner...
The part is around £20...

Thanks

Jay
For other Mercedes models the part does seem to be about £20 but when I've looked into one for a W202 it seems to be about £120 :eek: I've been tld mine is on the way as its a bit noisey

For other Mercedes models the part does seem to be about £20 but when I've looked into one for a W202 it seems to be about £120 I've been tld mine is on the way as its a bit noisey

its doesn't cost £120 for a W202 - its may cost that to get it done inc labour at a stealers but the part really is approx £20 - £30

grasmere said:
its doesn't cost £120 for a W202 - its may cost that to get it done inc labour at a stealers but the part really is approx £20 - £30
Not sure where i got the £120 from but just checked on Europarts and GSF and it is about £20 :) Might have ago at doing mine myself then :)

Edit - Think this thread is where I got the £120 from Click Me I'm sure i've got a GSF catalogue and it prices them at about £120 too :confused: Maybe I'm getting mixed up with the parts ? I was told the Poly V Belt tensioner was on-its way on mine.

Last edited:
Clarification on what to replace please

On GSF's website, they list the tensioner pulley and the tensioner absorber. Which is the one we are refering to that I need to replace.
Thanks

Try just replacing the damper (small black piston thing).It's under £20 at GSF and made by FEBE the original supplier to Mercedes.
You need to remove the tensioner unit held on by 3 bolts first to gain access to the lower damper bolt.(You may need to remove the 2 bolts holding the aircon compressor and swing it to one side to improve access).

adam

bradspau said:
On GSF's website, they list the tensioner pulley and the tensioner absorber. Which is the one we are refering to that I need to replace.
Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom