W202 V6 Mpg

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

se97mlm

Car
'98(R) Silver C240 Elegance
Can any of you guys who own(ed) a C240, C280 or C36 W202 tell me what sort of MPG and range you get? Is there much difference is consumption between the inline 280 compared to the V6?

You can check Parker's Guide for comparitive mpg figures between all the standard W202 models.

According to Parker's Guide the V6 2.8 is slightly more economical than the previous I6 2.8 engine but there really isn't much between them.

As for me... it really depends on how I drive the car and on whether they are motorway miles or city/town driving, there really is a large range. Steady motorway cruising can give mid 30's mpg where as enthusiastic town driving can drop the figure into the low 20's or even slightly less. Since 90% of my journeys are to and from work in the dreaded rush hour my range is approx 250 miles or so, on a long motorway journey can see this figure rise to approx 400 miles.

S.

Steve,

And yours is the I6 or the V6?

240 miles out of £42 Optimax.... im cr*p at figures!

Originally posted by GrahamC230K
Steve,

And yours is the I6 or the V6?

G.,

Mine's a facelift hence has the V6. Umm now I think about it, the 2.4 only came as a V6.

S.

Originally posted by Steve_Perry
G.,

Mine's a facelift hence has the V6. Umm now I think about it, the 2.4 only came as a V6.

S.

So what cc were the others??

I thought only the very last w202 C240's made were the newer 2.6?

So what cc were the others??

I thought only the very last w202 C240's made were the newer 2.6?

The W202 C240 only came in on the facelift I thought, maybe I'm wrong? The 240 started at 2.4 litres (2398 cc I think, I could check my documents :p ) in a V6. The engine was also fitted to the E Class W210 and part way through the model life was upgraded to 2.6 litres although still badged as a E240. The very last batch of W202 C240 estates also had the 2.6 litre unit, HP was the same as the 2.4 at 170bhp but torque was increased. I've read conflicting thoughts as to whether the 2.6 ever made it to the last of the W202 saloons. I think it's because the short period of overlap when W203 saloon was released with the W203 estate waiting in the wings & W202 estate flying the flag a little longer than the saloon.

Wheelie has a fairly late incarnation C240 W202 so maybe he could tell us if he has a 2.6 or 2.4 engine?

S.

No.... All 202 240's were 2.4 its only in the new C and all of the E's that you got the 2.6 lump but still 170Bhp in all variants...

For the record...... 340 miles out of £44, V6 240 Sport.

So was there ever an inline 2.4l engine in europe or just the US?

@Alps - 240 miles out of £42 = 20mpg

@Wheelie - 340 miles out of £44 = 27mpg

(assuming 80p/litre)

I get about twice as much mpg with half as many cylinders :D

So was there ever an inline 2.4l engine in europe or just the US?

Are we talking just W202? If so, to my knowledge there has never been an inline 2.4 either in Europe or the US. AFAIK the US only ever got the C280 (first I6 then later the V6) and C230K. The C240 was never released stateside.

S.

I think it's because the short period of overlap when W203 saloon was released with the W203 estate waiting in the wings & W202 estate flying the flag a little longer than the saloon.
Same with the C200k estate w202, the saloons never had that engine.

I get average of 400 miles to a tank of motorway driving, have seen 420 on a good day and and down to 340 when I've been gunning it. C240 V6

Originally posted by n3thn
I get average of 400 miles to a tank of motorway driving, have seen 420 on a good day and and down to 340 when I've been gunning it. C240 V6

I struggle to get that with my diesel.:confused:

Originally posted by n3thn
Originally posted by Wheelie
Bloody hell you must drive like a nun!!!
Wheelie,
Heh to be fair n3thn did say he was motorway driving hence mpg figures would be significantly up.

As I said in an earlier post, most of my town driving gives me approx 250 miles in range, yet I can also get from London to Swansea in slightly less than half a tank hence making 400 miles range achievable on the motorway. *Edit* I tend to cruise at approx 80.

S.

Last edited:
Wheelie,
Heh to be fair n3thn did say he was motorway driving hence mpg figures would be significantly up.

S.

Yes but obviously within the speed limit, as over 80mph starts to reduce your mpg significantly eh M8.:D :D

I struggle to get that with my diesel

Mine is 550-650 miles to the tank.:bannana: :bannana:

Mind you it is 80 litres.:cool: :cool:

Originally posted by Brian WH
Yes but obviously within the speed limit, as over 80mph starts to reduce your mpg significantly eh M8.:D :D

Of course Brian :D but I think the stop/start town driving and time spent accelerating/decelerating nobbles mpg figures and range a whole lot more than cruising at 80 @ 3,000rpm.

S.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom