W202 Wheel Wobble

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

babz

Car
1996 Mercedes C180
Does anyone know what is wrong with my car/wheels?..

i have recently bought some AMG monoblock II replicas off a friend for £100 (no buckles, no curb marks and with 4 brand new tyres with 0 miles BARGAIN!?) ive recently had them put on from my local garage getting the wheel alignment done at the same time. the wheels are facing dead straight, and the mechanic has showed me the laser positioning confirming they are spot on. However.... now i cant go over 60mph without the steering wheel shaking... faster i go, the more it shakes. bring it down to 50mph and the vibrating stops...

What could it be?? it is doing my head in! Any help is appreciated

Thanks in advance!

Hi
Have you had them balanced prior to fitting.

hmm.... i know for a fact the rear wheels have been balanced because i can see the silver weights on the inside of the rim. however, i cant see any weights on the front wheels. could this be the culprit?

Bottom ball joint possibly, or steering damper.

prior to fitting the wheels, the car would happily go past 100mph without the slightes of vibrations. plus just passed an MOT last week, surely would have came up during the test is it was?

Definitely get them balanced first.. cheapest and easiest option

Hi,

if you have had the trackn-ing done it may be this causing your problem....

go and get a 4 wheel alignment done after having all 4 wheels balanced.

ive had this happen to me om my c class.

Raj

hmm.... i know for a fact the rear wheels have been balanced because i can see the silver weights on the inside of the rim. however, i cant see any weights on the front wheels. could this be the culprit?
It would be very odd for neither front wheel to need balancing weights. Definitely get them balanced/rebalanced.

the alignment i had done was for all four wheels, they are all facing dead straight. i suspected the front wheels needed balancing since i noticed the problem. just wasnt too sure. and today i have also noticed my steering wheel is sitting a little crooked, but when the tracking was being done i made sure the steering wheel was sitting straight. could the problems be linked? thanks again guys for the replies!

If you feel shimmy on sterring wheel in speed between 45-65mph and you sure your suspension is fine then you have a problem with balanace of front wheels. If you feel on a whole body or around your seats then you might have rear`s out of balanace. Like everyone said had it checked out first as that is the easiest thing to cause problem specialy when you have heavy, big wheels.

If you do stick-on weights then it need some skills to do it properly. Its easy to make wrong reading and will effect what you feel. Start of simple things first.

im getting the front wheels balanced from my usual garage on monday morning i do hope this gets sorted out. but theres one thing still bugging me... my steering wheels is sitting a little bit crooked, when the wheel alignment was done the steering wheel was level, now although the car itself is goin dead straight, the steering wheel is not sitting straight. any ideas? thanks again!

Had the same problem.New wheels new tyred steering shakes-done everything possible no result.Then I bought 4 pirelli tyres everything stopped.
Was driving on budget tyres-that was the problem

How were the tyres stored? Leaving a tyre under-inflated and on the tread rather than laying the wheels on their side can send them out of round.

I had this problem on my SL with relatively new tyres - lack of use and even well balanced they went out of round as the car wasn't used very often.

The only way to solve was replace. Ouch! Expensive! But solved the problem and now smooth at any speed...

the tyres are toyo proxes T1R's, they were fitted a few days before i bought them. so im still guessing wheen balancing could be the problem

Toyo's R budget tyres.
Try balance again. Ask the garage 2 spin the wheel with old weights on to see if they R out.If ok tyres would be your prob.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom