W202 whining noise while driving

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JimC200

Car
2004 w211 estate 2.2 cdi manual, 177k mls
I've got 98 c200 and it makes a funny whining noise that seems to be inside the cabin when driving in 3rd or 4th at a certain rpm, that is it comes in at 2000rpm then goes by 2.5 it stays even if I press the clutch in so I'm sure it's not a gearbox issue? The car drives perfectly so I'm not worried just a little annoying is all, anyone experience similar?

I had thought of that but is the diff up front? I thought it would be on the rear axle And why only whine at that really small Rpm range and only in 3-4th gear? It's a weird one

If it's coming form the nearside front it's most likely the wife. :)

That's the first thought that came to mind when I read the thread title, not much help I know :doh:

It sounds like a high pitched whine (the diff not the wife). Its particularly apparent as you slow from motorway speeds to coming to a stop. Is this what the noise is like?

The diff is at the back, where the driving wheels are.

its not the wheel bearing also a common fault could it be they would be worse when they get hot

is the noise their when cold

I used to have an intermittent whining noise when driving although (possibly coincidentally) since the divorce it has ceased ;)

Last edited:
It sounds like a high pitched whine (the diff not the wife). Its particularly apparent as you slow from motorway speeds to coming to a stop. Is this what the noise is like?

The diff is at the back, where the driving wheels are.

No mine is definitely upfront sounds like it's behind the glove box, I'm just going to let it go if something is wrong it will eventually break then I'll fix it :)

its not the wheel bearing also a common fault could it be they would be worse when they get hot

is the noise their when cold

It's there only when moving from about 25-30 mph then nothing,
Hot or cold it's there

It's prob the wheel bearing but I would check the prop as well

Did a couple of 60 minute runs with the car fully loaded up with the family and no more whining sound, even after I went out by myself it was still gone, let's see if it comes back after sitting up overnight lol

A whinign noise could be a number of different things, wheel bearing, diff, belt idler pulley, water pump etc etc I think you'll have to do some more investigation to narrow it down. Maybe try and get the car stationary and get someone to rev it to the range you've experienced the noise at to rule out anything belt/pulley related.

And the longest shot of all, if the whine raises in pitch with revs, it might even be alternator noise being picked up on the hifi. Unlikely I know, but it's always worth elminating the easiest things first.

Ok the noise goes away after a good drive, when it cools down and I go off again it comes back if it's only a short run it seems to stay, strange huh? I had a very strange issue with my blower fan also, I bought a new fan put it in and didn't work pulled it out whole still wired up and it worked, then stopped then input my old one back on and it worked! Screwed it back into it's mounts and it's fine now, all I did was wd40 the connectors, my car is strange lol

Ok I've decided it's not a whine it's more of a wail not metallic or grinding in any way its so weird, I'm going to put the car through the nct and see what they come back with, I noticed a tiny spot of oil on the diff the other day :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom