W202 Wing rust - remove wing to treat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pimpmyc250td

Car
c250tdw202
hi

my 97 car is is due to to go into the paint shop at some point soon to be fix a few rust scabs and various dings

but i have have decided now sort the rusty front arches out properly myself up front, there are not too bad and still in one piece, every bodyshop i went to tutted when i said sort the rust out too, they would gurantee the paint work but not that the rust would come back...tbh for a car so old its in great condition, and puts many modern mercs to shame when it comes to rust..im keeping this car long term, so want it done right..

with the wing on , i have wirebrushed the inside lip, and sealant removed off the back of the lip, pain in the **** to remove, and now the lip is soaking in bilthamber deox as is the spring perch that only had a light surface coating of rust from stone chips, as is some corrosion around the upper arm and top suspension mount.

if i want to be sure i have killed the rust off for the next 10 yrs on the wing is is best to take the wing off and treat, as i dont want it creeping back, i also have few days free so its a nice time filler...

am thinking...

1. wing off,
2. goggles on - wire brush and abrasive wheel - silverline do some cheapo that work well...
3. Bilt hamber deox or phosphoric acid to all newly rustfree metal
4. flag paints or krust anti rust treatment.. looks like black paint
5. brush on 2 pack epoxy mastic the inside of the wing 121 , BH or jotun 87 epoxy mastic - they dont have isocyanates - so safer for use without an airfed mask if spraying..
6. BH dynax UB on the inside arch lip
7. wing on and book into paint shop

overkill or am i in the right direction to kill the rust off..

ps thanks killerhertz for the inspriration for thinking about taking my wings off..30 mins a side...

You will need to grind it back. The wire brushing will only get rid of the loose stuff which is at the surface. You need to get a grinding disc or I use a dremel with a grinding stone fitting to grind back all the rust to fresh metal that doesnt look dark grey or pitted.

thanks..

wings off then as there are a couple of corners i cannnot get to with the wings on

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom