W202 Wiper - Almost Fixed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wigs_1

Car
98 C240 Sport
I think I've read nearly every wiper thread available and eventually got round to fixing mine and adding my 2-penny worth to the forum.

Well, I've half fixed the wiper.
It was tapping the plastic trip on the LHS so managed to re-align the spigot.
However the "in-out" motion has never worked.

I stripped it down and found the culprit, its the small gear in the first photo.
There is obviously some sort of keyway inside that allows it to drive the rotary mechanism on the other side however this seems to be broken allowing the gear to rotate without driving the mechanisms.

I have taken the 2nd picture from one of the other threads on wipers.

So:
Does anyone have a photo similar to the 2nd one I posted which will show the gear etc that you can see in my first photo?

Is it possible to buy the gear and associated shaft seperately rather than buying a complete wiper mechanism?

All suggestions gratefully recieved.

Cheers, Chris

Attachments

• 09022008059.jpg
    09022008059.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 691
  • w202wiperdiagram.jpg
    w202wiperdiagram.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 687
The coged wheel is responsible for pushing out and pulling in the wiper blade, but because it is slipping on its shaft it is failing to pull the blade inward and so the blade hits the side windshield trim.

You have three options, 1 and 2 in Pic. or replace the whole mechanism, but not the motor if it is o.k.

1…Drill a 2mm hole through the carbine fiber coged wheel, right through the shaft and out the other side, insert a 2mm Roll pin, cut to size so as it doesn’t interfere with the teeth of the gears, this will pin the wheel to the shaft.
Difficult to get a clean hole, as the drill bit is likely to break as the shaft is quite hard steal. The coged wheel looks and feels like steel, but it is some kind of plastic or carbine fiber. This fix dose work ok, it was first mentioned by a member called Shandy, another Scotsman, but haven’t seen him around for some time.

2…The easiest and quickest solution is to tape a lollypop stick, TIGHTLY to the shaft as in Pic 2, this jams the mechanism, preventing the blade from extending and striking the windscreen trim, it won’t do any harm to the coged wheel as it is already slipping on its shaft and the damage is already done.

There is no keyway locking the shaft to the coged wheel, it is held in place by compression, you can see a rivet on the other side, looks a bit like a cross-head screw.
This fix will alter the sweep of the blade from an “oval” to an arc shape, but at least you can drive in the rain.

You can’t buy the gear, it just isn’t practical to repair, the alternative to the above is a replacement mechanism.

Dec

Attachments

• wiper a.jpg
    wiper a.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 1,164
Last edited:
Wow - fantastic diagrams and solutions - it doesnt come any better than this !!!!!

Well done Dec

Cheers for that Dec.
Shame you can't buy the part as its such a simple fix!!

The cog on mine was already pinned however it was a poor job and didn't work.

I recon I can get a High Speed Steel drill bit and a roller pin from work and get the shaft / cog drilled & pinned.

Thanks again for the tip.

Chris

The bit where the gear is faulty is very common.

I have mechanisms from the E class which share the same gear as the C class.

So when ever they go faulty, I just swop them.

I never hear of E class mechanisms going but why c class w202.

The bit where the gear is faulty is very common.

I have mechanisms from the E class which share the same gear as the C class.

So when ever they go faulty, I just swop them.

I never hear of E class mechanisms going but why c class w202.

The SWF made version maybe not as good as the Bosch one ?

adam

Cheers for that Dec.
Shame you can't buy the part as its such a simple fix!!

The cog on mine was already pinned however it was a poor job and didn't work.

I recon I can get a High Speed Steel drill bit and a roller pin from work and get the shaft / cog drilled & pinned.

Thanks again for the tip.

Chris

If its already been drilled, I doubt it will take another hole without failing again, I think you should treat yourself to a lollypop.

Dec

Dec, You are the man. A guy quoted me over £500 last week to replace wiper mech. - said nothin could be done, etc.
So, I joined MBclub and voila! There was your post. An hour later my wiper is good as new. Thanks for your expertise. Tom.

Thanks Tom, glad it was useful, stick around and you will learn a lot here. Whatever your problem, there is always someone with an answer.

Dec

Dec
I have to say that's a fantastic solution for this problem.

Cheers

Thanks Dieselman, that Roll Pin idea belongs to a Scotsman called Shandy, he said he did several of them, successfully, but I haven’t seen him around for a long time.

Dec

Thanks Dieselman, that Roll Pin idea belongs to a Scotsman called Shandy, he said he did several of them, successfully, but I haven’t seen him around for a long time.

Dec

Well, he's been here...

shandy
Last Activity: 18-05-2008 02:39 PM

Well, the wiper failed again :(

I've been looking on ebay and there are lots of mechanisms for pre-97 W202's but none for facelift models.

So.....

If I bought a pre-97 wiper (which I think has the wrong electrical connection), could I transfer the mechanical bits to my existing one?
Does anyone know?

Cheers, Chris

I think you can as its the motor can be swapped.

I take it that it is the in/out action that has failed again, if that is the case you will be buying a complete mechanism, that is, all the mechanism minus the wiper arm and minus the motor, you will not be able to get the part pictured in your first post separately, you will then change your existing motor over to the new mechanism.

I would suggest you buy from a scrap yard rather than ebay because you will be able to check the in/out action of the mechanism manually before you buy. The balljoint at back of mechanism and the in/out action, as in your first picture, is the only part of the mechanism that can go wrong, nuts can come lose but the can be retightened.

If you buy one from, say a 1995 car it will fit, the sliding mechanism under the “turtel” shell cover may be different but the whole unit will still fit and work ok.

You will be using your existing motor so electrical connections aren’t an issue.

Dec

If you buy one from, say a 1995 car it will fit, the sliding mechanism under the “turtel” shell cover may be different but the whole unit will still fit and work ok.

Aren't the linkages and motors completly different between the early and late models?

That’s a timely warning I don’t know that for sure but I recall seeing the rear of a late mechanism and it looked the same as the early ones I will see if I can find the picture, there were changes to the mechanism over the years but the only modification that were done was to the sliding part as in the first picture at post #1

Thanks for pointing that out.

Dec

I had a look at that picture on another forum and it dose look the same, different molding but the dimensions seem to be the same so it should follow the motor though different should also fit but that isn’t clear in the picture however the original poster should exercise caution just in case I am not correct.

All the more reason to buy in a scrap yard.

Dec

Cheers for the replies people.
Yes it is the "in - out" bit. If the whole assembly can be replaced and all I need is to swap the motor I should be sorted. I've tried too many "fixes" on the existing one and it propably won't take another.
I'll check it out and let you know when I get it fixed.
Chris

Just to update the thread. Went to the breakers today. On the phone earlier in the week he said he had a C-class wiper but when I got there he couldn't find it :crazy:

As I was there I looked round the yard and found a few c-class (wipers missing) and a couple of W124 E-class, each one with different style wipers (one looked 190ish), the other looked hopeful.....

Alas, when you strip the unit down the little cog that drives the in-out mechanism (pictured) has bigger and fewer teeth than the W202. Shame because apart from that it is virtually identical and would have fitted straight in.... The W124 unit looks a lot more substantial and better designed too!

I'll keep looking and update the thread when I find something else.

Cheers, Chris

Attachments

• 09022008059.jpg
    09022008059.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 193

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom