W202 Wiper cover slipping off...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Silestanix

Car
97' C250TD Sport
Morning all, so after spending almost 6 hours yesterday taking the motor out, cleaning the innards and lubricating with dielectric silicone grease, then fitting, lubricating the mechanism under the turtle shell cover, and repeatedly removing and fitting it to realign the park position (reason why I removed it initially), it's parking fine now and works as per Dec's instructions.

However, the cover between the wiper arm and turtle shell cover now keeps slipping off! The wiper parks fine and sweeps fine, just this bit of cover trim keeps finding itself loose and I'm concerned it'll disappear if I'm on the motorway!

Anyone know a solution to this! It's doing my head in...!

Cheers,

Harry.

Compare it to another W202 to see if you have refited it properly, it might not be pushed fully into it's slots.
That cover has clips inside and the nearly always get broken when that cover is removed.

If broken, that part would be 10 a penny in the scrap yard.

Watch how yourman in the video uses a nail head in order to pull the sides of the cover outwards before he pulls it upwards.

Dec

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
Compare it to another W202 to see if you have refited it properly, it might not be pushed fully into it's slots.
That cover has clips inside and the nearly always get broken when that cover is removed.

If broken, that part would be 10 a penny in the scrap yard.

Watch how yourman in the video uses a nail head in order to pull the sides of the cover outwards before he pulls it upwards.

Dec

This was it Dec, thank you so much bud, I hadn't slotted it in properly!

The wiper parks 2-3mm above parking position as per your images, should I adjust it again or will it be ok?

The cover kept coming off so I kept adjusting it, now it sits slightly above the V calibration marks... I can adjust it again though if it's vital?

If its 2 or 3 mm out at the V mark then its not been setup correctly, however, having said that, It's not vital to the working of the mechinasim if the V mark or the two lines aren't lined up exactly.

What you want to achieve is to have the wiper blade park at the bottom of the screen when it's switched off and that it looks right and that it is not too high or too low and that it doesn't touch the trim… with all the holes ... at the bottom of the windscreen.

If you have a good smartphone, that can take a slow motion video, then put the wipers on intermittent and record the tip of the blade as it parks on the driver side, keep the windscreen wet.

Slow motion shows a lot more than the eye can see at normal wiper speed.

Always take pictures when you are doing jobs like this, can be usefully to show others when there are problems.

Dec

Appreciate it Dec, I'll adjust it a bit if need be then?

Here's a picture below...

lI8R1Vx.jpg

Also, I'm off Tomorrow after my night shift, so I'll take the trim all apart again with pics for others... It's no trouble as I can do it fairly fast now.

Unless it's bugging you then its ok, a shade too high by about a 1/2 inch I think, my own is not perfect either, very hard to get it right.

Dec

Unless it's bugging you then its ok, a shade too high by about a 1/2 inch I think, my own is not perfect either, very hard to get it right.

Dec
Most definitely difficult to get right... But I'll persevere and correct it tomorrow... I'll mark the windscreen edge with masking tape and measure say 10mm?

Appreciate your help by the way Dec.

Harry, have you got a link to the particular instructions you are you are followi g to guide you through this adjustment?

Dec

Masking tape doesn't really help, if both sets of alignment marks are lined up correctly and spot on then the wiper blade park position should be correct, however it never seems to work out like that when it is all fitted back in the car.

That link is quite old, just to refresh, follow the procedure below.

First, park the wiper motor, to do that run the wiper on a wet screen for a couple of sweeps, then turn the wiper off at the stalk, when the blade stops and parks at the bottom of the screen then remove keys from ignition.

Next, remove the complete mechanism from the car.

Next, the V mark should now be lined up with the short motor arm as illustrated in picture below, if it is not, then remove nut 2 and the short motor arm and reseat the short motor arm so as it is lined up with the V mark.

You need to hold the short motor arm with a vise/mole grips so as not to let the motor gearbox move when you are tightening nut 2.

The two lines on the back of the sliding mechanism should now be lined up, if the are not then remove nut 1 and pry the levers off to allow you to realign the 2 lines on the back of the sliding mechanism. Be sure both nuts are tightened up.

If the rear of the mechanism looks like the picture below then the wiper blade should be in the correct park position.

index.php

Dec

Masking tape doesn't really help, if both sets of alignment marks are lined up correctly and spot on then the wiper blade park position should be correct, however it never seems to work out like that when it is all fitted back in the car.

That link is quite old, just to refresh, follow the procedure below.

First, park the wiper motor, to do that run the wiper on a wet screen for a couple of sweeps, then turn the wiper off at the stalk, when the blade stops and parks at the bottom of the screen then remove keys from ignition.

Next, remove the complete mechanism from the car.

Next, the V mark should now be lined up with the short motor arm as illustrated in picture below, if it is not, then remove nut 2 and the short motor arm and reseat the short motor arm so as it is lined up with the V mark.

You need to hold the short motor arm with a vise/mole grips so as not to let the motor gearbox move when you are tightening nut 2.

The two lines on the back of the sliding mechanism should now be lined up, if the are not then remove nut 1 and pry the levers off to allow you to realign the 2 lines on the back of the sliding mechanism. Be sure both nuts are tightened up.

If the rear of the mechanism looks like the picture below then the wiper blade should be in the correct park position.

index.php

Dec

Brilliant, will do this tomorrow and take pictures when doing so. Thank you.

@Dec You'll be impressed I think by this, as I was with myself which is a rarity...!

CdTCQh5.jpg

wLqwK7x.jpg

fn6z9Wa.jpg

cdZTgHT.jpg

Absolutely bang on now! I have more pictures I took for you today Dec, I'll share them here bud so you can use them if you need them.

index.php

Another picture that should have been included.
That's exelent, you were away with yourself entirley, those pictures are very usefully, the explain a lot better than words.

Dec

Thanks Harry, all very usefully to the next man, there is a video on u tube that deals with all the plastic clips on the way into the mechinasm by fubabox in case anyone needs more detail.

Dec

Last edited:
Think this thread needs to be pinned/sticky as a vital bit of W124/W201/W202/W210 maintenance...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom