W202 wiper mechanism

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jukie

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
MY11 E350 CDi Avantgarde
Re the W202 wiper mechanism....

As it sweeps across, it should move up and down, correct? on all W202 models of whatever age, correct?

I was looking at a '99 C43 today. The wiper swept across ok but didn't move up and down? And yet it covered right up to the top of the windscreen in the centre and to the outer edges too? Coverage was as I would expect.

:dk:

Apologies if this is in the wrong section. Mods please relocate if required.

On my W202, the wiper extends when at the 45ish degree angle. In other words in the park position the wiper is short, as it then moves up to the corner it starts to extend, then as it reaches top dead centre it is short again, then extends as it moves to to the other corner, then short again for the opposite horizontal position. This means the wiper will reach the top of the screen in its short position.

The C43 you looked at will have the same wiper mech as any other w202 therefore I would suggest it is not functioning correctly.

On my W202, the wiper extends when at the 45ish degree angle. In other words in the park position the wiper is short, as it then moves up to the corner it starts to extend, then as it reaches top dead centre it is short again, then extends as it moves to to the other corner, then short again for the opposite horizontal position. This means the wiper will reach the top of the screen in its short position.

The C43 you looked at will have the same wiper mech as any other w202 therefore I would suggest it is not functioning correctly.

I would suggest you're right! :D

And not cheap to fix....

I would suggest you're right! :D

And not cheap to fix....

Might just need a lube. Fairly easy to do.

If thats whats putting you off the car a strip down of the covers would answer the question as the mechanism to do the jump is fairly exposed once the cover is off.

Might just need a lube. Fairly easy to do.

If thats whats putting you off the car a strip down of the covers would answer the question as the mechanism to do the jump is fairly exposed once the cover is off.

There was a bit more to it than that...!! All 4 arches beginning to go, at least 3 if not all 4 doors required work. A scratch near the fuel filler flap....

Mercedes-Benz : C43 AMG Mercedes

That looks not bad.

How was the engine/gearbox? Service history? Does it have suspension noises/clunks?

Sadly it's SORN and the chap didn't have any trade plates available so I didn't get to drive it. Engine sounded fine, oil was clean and no gunk around the oil cap. Didn't get to see the service history as it was a very hastily arranged visit and the seller was already away from home.

The off-side wing mirror glass needs replacing (not cracked but mottled?) and it was slower to fold in than the near side.

I am still tempted but I am concerned about the cost of sprucing it up. Funnily enough, Fuzzer, it's currently located in Edinburgh..... it's a private sale though the seller is in the trade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom