W202 wiper not extending

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nasco12

Car
W202 C240 1999 Green; Previous: W202 C200
And, as a consequence, producing a semi-circular pattern at the spindle rather than an "M".

I have tried lubricating the mechanism. This hasn't made much difference.

Does this mean I need a new mechanism?

Hi. Someone else might prove of more help, however, mine went out of sync as I took it off and rebuilt it back in sync. Worked fine after that. It had jumped teeth.

My point is that the brilliant thing about these older cars is that you can actually repair things rather than replace. If your skills are up to it, it is possible to take it apart and get it going.

The arm retraction is regulated by a small plastic gear that should be fixed in position. Eventually the gear breaks free and spins on the shaft, so the regulator ceases to retract the arm.

Strip the unit and drill and pin the gear is the usual fix.

Have you ever known the wiper to work as it should and do the M thing?
Have you had the turtle shell cover off yet?... Edit, sorry I see you did that.

Dec

I have a brand new genuine 202 wiper arm kicking about in the garage....

Unfortunately, I've just gone and ordered one.

Well, the new mechanism is on the car and works. Many thanks to Dec for his excellent descriptions. I don't think I could have done it without them.

There is, however, a mystery. When I got the old mechanism off the car I started playing around with it. I stripped it down so I only had the transmission and the cogs. Lo and behold, it worked, as in the arm was extending.

I then tried adding in the linkage. Same thing. I didn't try adding in the motor because that's a bit more complicated. Even so, all very odd. The only thing I would say is that the mechanism felt "notchy".

The “notchy’ness” you felt is the cogged gear slipping on the shaft, its often fine with the sliding part in one position and only starts to slip in another position.

If you were to grip and turn the cogs with pliers, while at the same time preventing the sliding part of the mechanism from moving then you will find that the cogged gear will slip/turn on the shaft – bottom right of picture - the cheap fix is to put a Roll Pin right through the shaft to stop the cogged gear from slipping on the shaft.

Dec

attachment.php

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom