W202 Wiper stopping in middle of screen

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DarrenAllen

Hi,

I hope someone can help. I have a problem with my wiper on my 1999 W202 it has just started stopping in the middle of the screen. I have lubricated the wiper mechanism and the wiper action works perfectly except that it always stops in the middle of the screen. Is there any way I can adjust this.

Cheers

Darren

Could be one of two things, either the relay is on its way out or the selector arm which also controls the indicators has had it and is on its way out.

Is it stopping, or slowing down?

W202 wipers suffered a common problem which was dryness - a little lube fixes it. Take off the cover from the wiper's base, and using a grease gun squeeze a good dose of grease throughout. Operate wiper, and repeat the greasing until the case is nice and filled with grease...

(note, this is the quick & dirty way of doing it... the proper way would be to wake it apart and apply grease only to the piston... but this works a treat, takes less time, and imo lasts longer as the extra grease acts as a barrier to dust)
M.

EDIT: just read properly and saw you've already lubed it... ignore me....

Don't think its the relay because if I manually move the wipe arm to the rest position and then switch on the ignition it then automatically move the arm to the centre of the screen every time in the same place even if the wipers are switched off.
Does the wiper motor have switches in it to control when to switch off the motor, if so i'm wondering if the motor could be the problem.

Sounds like it could be the motor, I had exactly the same symptoms a couple of months back and it turned out the the motor had failed.

Thanks KillerHERTZ,

I also do think its the motor but I don't fancy changing the motor again I only changed it 2 years ago. I thought a motor should last a bit longer than 2 years.

When you turn the wiper off, at the stalk switch, the blade always stops at the same place on the screen, is that correct?

Dec

You have a slipped nut on the rear of the mechanism, either nut 1 or nut 2, this is causing the blade to park in the middle of the screen instead of at the bottom.

There are alignment marks to aid correct adjustment of the park position of the blade.
Before you do any work on the mechanism, run the wiper for a couple of sweeps, then turn it OFF AT THE STALK SWITCH, wait 2 seconds for the blade to finish its sweep and come to a stop (in the middle of screen in your case) then remove the keys from ignition.

See… http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/bodywork/47456-c-class-180-93-wipers-park-mid-screen.html

Dec

9718d1203019908-c-class-180-93-wipers-park-mid-screen-.jpg

Thanks Dec,

I will have to take it apart at the weekend, I hope its just a slipped nut

Had a look at the wiper assembly today and Dec was right the nut at position 2 on his diagram had to be realigned. Done in about hour and half. All fixed and working.:bannana:

Thanks Dec for your help

I just got the same problem yesterday. It was getting stuck at halfway position on windscreen and it I pushed with my hand then it would return but get stuck again in same position.

I had to push it back to its normal resting position so I could drive but now it doesnt move and I can hear it whirring when I switch it on.

Do you think the motor has gone or should I try realigning the nut as Dec has described?

From your description it does seem that a nut is loose so you will need to realign and tighten up the nuts.

However there is a small chance that you have stripped gears inside the motor gearbox so it would be wise, before you remove the mechanism, to remove the gearbox cover and inspect the teeth and worm drive for signs of damage.

10132d1206645781-w202-wiper-problem-motor.jpg

10133d1206645826-w202-wiper-problem-worm.jpg

10134d1206645848-w202-wiper-problem-strip.jpg

Be sure to park the motor first and also lubricate the sliding mechanism.

Dec

Hi all, I write you from Turkey, it is great community what you guys have here!
I also have this problem. Not exactly same but similar.

Mine stops at random position. As I understand my problem is switch. Is there any photo that I can take a look and fix it myself.

btw I have searched forum, it seems to me that this is the best topic to write.

thanks!

Hi all, I write you from Turkey, it is great community what you guys have here!
I also have this problem. Not exactly same but similar.

Mine stops at random position. As I understand my problem is switch. Is there any photo that I can take a look and fix it myself.

btw I have searched forum, it seems to me that this is the best topic to write.

thanks!

When your wiper stops in random positions, is the wiper switch at;

0 = off
l = intermittent
ll = slow speed
lll = fast speed

Dec

okay
if I wash the screen it stops in random position.
if it is in intermittent mode again it stops in random position
If I choose other modes (slow or fast) it runs good till I stop it.
when I stop I have to stop it in the right position or it stops in random position.

awesome! will try and let you know
thanks
by the way sometimes it works well

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom